Newbie question :) be kind...

"Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen" wrote:

Err, well, I was taught about "Imperial pounds" in my childhood, so you should assume I mean those. ;-) So what's a US pound???

After googling I found that both the American and Imperial pound are 454 grams, makes me wonder if a Quarter Pounder at McD in the Netherlands is 125 grams or 113,5 grams :-)
Greetz Jan

Still made of "animal by-products". :-)
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West

Just wondering about the weight, you don't think I would actually eat at McD.
Getting to far off topic now though.
Greetz Jan

NOW!!! This thread hasn't been on topic for dozens of posts!! Why worry about being OT now!???? *8^))
Paul
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:14:41 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Liar! It's been HUNDREDS of posts since it was on topic. Neener! -- Ray

What is an order of magnitude amongst posters??
Paul
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:39:08 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Ooh, I like it! This may be the first decimal based or fractional order of magnitude multiplier in model railroading history.
People of the newsgroup, mark this day on your calendar. Remind your children, your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren of this day. Never forget it. -- Ray
"Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen" wrote:

I'd guess mostly fat.

But not in North America, which was the entire point.

I said, IN NORTH AMERICA. Pay freaking attention. *
like corkscrews.
PV wrote:

I learned my Imperial measurements (and Metric) by rote in the 1950s/60s, including the "gallon". I never learned US measurements at school. In 1974 we dropped all Imperial measurements in favour of the internationally accepted Metric System of measurement.
The result is that if you say "gallon" or "ton" or any of the hundreds of non-Metric system measurement terms I will revert to those learned in childhood conversions. If, as Ray assures me, the US has two equal standards, US and Metric, then I have no need to clutter my little mind with US to Metric conversions because you yanks already do that and can quote me the price of petrol in litres as easily as foreign gallons.
Greg.P.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:15:49 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Well, Greg, as many have pointed out, it's quite true. Dual standards exist and are legal for trade and retail which is the entire point of them being made legal. If you really wanted to, you could define your own measuring system, let's say you named it Brouhahas, and use them for your railroad. But, you could never sell anything legally using that as a standard.
The same happens in countries who regulate things like weights and measures. In the US, the major standards are Imperial and Metric with others like Troy, Avoirdupois and so on being used legally in some trades and not in others for the sake of convenience. Those standards are also in place. So, the US, just like New Zealand, has more than one standard. Before you go flying off on another tangent, gold and gems are sold using standards that are not metric.
This all started because you took an innocent comment and tried to turn it into another of your America bashes. Could I make a serious suggestion here? Make your comments all you wish but there are other people on this newsgroup besides Kiwis (which may sound disrespectful to some of you but the New Zealanders take pride in being Kiwis) and there's no need to simply bash them because you happen to not like the USA. That's crossing into an area not related to the hobby. Measurements are and this was actually enlightening to some here. Slamming the USA is not. Had you simply stuck to discussing measurements and the absurdity of so many systems, you would have had folk here clapping. Think about it.
Just leave the bashing of other countries to a newsgroup dedicated to that bashing. Just a favor. Ok? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Ray, you're telling me it's legal to _sell_ a given item in two different measuring systems. I, and several others here, have attempted to point out to you that a system can't be considered accepted (by the general population) if it can't be _purchased_ (as well as sold) in either/both measurements.

We have standards on all sorts of things - what we don't have is two parallel measuring systems.

Why do you stupidly imagine that I'm "America bashing"?

Ray, old buddy, it is _you_ who took this discussion into the realm of "bashing". Sure, I pointed out absurdities but it was you who translated that into "insults".
I've bought a series of US engineering machines, because they are the best available for my needs. I'm intending to expand my collection. That's hardly an insult. I already have 3 or 4 Austrian machines (Emco), which the Sherline was designed to compete with. The first (SL) I bought in 1978 and the last (Compact 5) in 2007. If anything I'm dissing Austria, and China, and Britain.
The three seperate absurdities I've pointed out are: - the Sherline "metric" machine is assembled using US specific nut and bolt sizes which makes it's usage outside the US problematical. - (US) modelling materials (and tools) come in a variety of different measuring systems. - the US is the only major stand-out in an internationally accepted measuring system. - Absurdity #4 is that the US has used the same terms as the previously internationally accepted Imperial measurements but applies them to different measurements. - Absurdities #5-#1005 are that you have attempted to defend absurdities by piling on even further absurdities in justification. - Absurdity #1006 on is that I have bothered to respond, but I justify that by admitting that I have lots of spare time between medical treatments.
Regards, Greg.P.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:35:25 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Neither of those statements is at cross purposes. There are dual standards in the US. A merchant can CHOOSE which method to use or he can CHOOSE to use both. For practicality, most chemists (not pharmacies in the US) sell their chemicals by the gram, kilogram or tonne. Some don't. They sell by ounce, pound or ton. The point is that they can sell using either standard and do so legally. But, now here's the part you don't really get, they CANNOT sell without having ANY standards applied. Well, not legally. I could sell a handful of anything but if you wanted to question the sale later by stating that my handful was an illegal measure, you'd be in the right. Such is the standards system and why it's there. Acceptance by the general population isn't at all relevant or to the point. It's just you reaching for a single thing you can call a win. This wasn't ever about the hoi polloi embracing metric or Imperial. You just try to steer it that way. It won't work.
Let me ask you something. Can an item be sold in ounces in NZ? Legally, I mean? Forget that nonsense about whether or not you can convert it correctly. Just the simple question. Can an item be legally sold in ounces in NZ? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Of course it is. That is precisely the relevance or point.

No, it cannot be sold by a manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, etc. Otherwise it is like your "handful". An individual can sell by the handful, plastic bag, sack ...
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:47:19 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Greg, that is NOT what you originally stated. Period. You've morphed it into that but your statement was NOT about acceptance. Look it up and quit your lying. Your tongue will turn black.

Then your country is so backward that it doesn't allow for Imperial measures to be used? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Imperial? I thought we were discussing US measures, which I have been assured may not be called "Imperial".
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:18:57 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Goodbye, Greg. -- Ray

Yes, because it is! Go to a grocery store and you can find 16 ounce (pint) bottles of coke right next to half liter ones. Admittedly the 16 ounce bottles mostly exist for nostalgia reasons (they're usually glass instead of plastic for the same reason), but they're not hard to find. Cans of coke are 12 ounces, just to drive home the point. There you have it, one product using both systems at the same time. *
like corkscrews.
PV wrote:

Can I buy a litre of petrol?