Newbie question :) be kind...

">>>>Which "ton" are you discussing. A real ton, 2240lbs? An American ton,

I've been rumbled. :-)
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:48:13 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I'll see that and raise you a shreep. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

ROTFLMAO.
Best yet!
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:33:50 +0900, Ray Haddad wrote:

Fair dinkum, as sheep have so often given ozzies a rise.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

ROTFL.
Excellent!
Steve Caple wrote:

I'll add my thruppence three farthings, two groats and the quarter farthing I found in gran'dad's pocket. I'll keep the piece o' eight.

Did you even read what i wrote? *
like corkscrews.
PV wrote:

Britain made the imperial system the norm in about a third of the world.

Err, yes there is! Take the "gallon" as an example, you yanks mean something quite different to we English speaking people.

2280Lb? That's a ton in English speaking countries. 1,000kg is a tonne. Of course everyone says "tonne" - we all know what it is because it is a standard measurement in 95%* of the world. *on a population basis.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:06:53 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Actually, both a ton or a tonne may be used as standard measurement in 100% of the world. Which part doesn't know how to convert?
Oh, wait. New Zealand. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

No-one can rationally convert from "tons" to tonnes" without first knowing _which_ "ton" one is going to start with.
There are (at least) two different "tons" in standard measurement use throughout the world. I know the English ton is 2280lb and the US ton is 2,000lb.
See Ray, now _you_ know too!
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:37:14 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Yet again establishing that a New Zealander is just too dumb to do the conversion required to make the world united. You are the great divider on this newsgroup, Greg.

Nope. I'll give you 5 real dollars if you find the answer yourself. No kidding PayPal funds await you.

And you'll never see that fiver. Guaranteed. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Am I the only one who can't convert an unknown weight to metrics? That seems unlikely!

Five of those Aussie dollars isn't worth toilet paper!

Greg Procter wrote:

Then perhaps he'll give you 5 NZ dollars, which are worth even less - but you sure have your own brand of inflation if you "know" an English ton is 2280 lb.

Sorry guys, you are BOTH wrong.
1) There is no such thing as an "English ton".
2) An "Imperial ton" is 2240lbs, NOT 2280lbs!
If you're going to argue at last get the math and terminology correct.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
Roger T. wrote:

Are you as incapable of seeing the gist of an argument as he is? The very point I was making was that he was wrong by "inflating" 2240 to 2280, and presumably that was one of Ray Haddad's points also. Moreover it is playing with words to try to distinguish an English ton from an Imperial ton, since the latter is what is used in England, which makes it operationally the English ton.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:59:19 -0800, Roger T. wrote:

Don't forget those Hessian mercenaries (deserting or remaining after the peace, some of them were the ancestors of my maternal grandmother).
--
Steve

">> As an example. It was the "British Army" that fought the revoloution, not

Yes Steve. An important part, at that time, of the British Army. The Brits and Germans had always, I believe, been allies up until until W.W. I. Heck the British royal family is more German than British and some could barely speak English. The royal family name was "Battenburg" until the royals changed it to "Windsor" and the non-royal branch to "Mountbatten" in W.W.I. It was the arrival of the German army that turned the tide in favour of Wellington at Waterloo.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:48:34 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Siamese twin Corgis? How tragic. -- Ray
Eddie Oliver wrote:

I admit I got the conversion wrong - we no longer use tons but I was relying on childhood memory - I'm sorry - I was wrong - wrong - wrong - wrong ...
There's still that difference between the "Imperial ton" and "US ton". One cannot write "ton" in an international forum and expect anyone to know what ton is being considered.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:43:33 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I fell off my chair in spite of the armrests when I read this. Did anyone else's computer freeze up when these words came in?

You still don't win the $5.00. You had too much help. -- Ray