Newbie question :) be kind...

Greg Procter wrote:

[snip]
I wrote "all over North America." Got that?
[snip further explanation by me]

Reread what I wrote.
[snip further twittishness]
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:27:53 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You mean you broke into the Port-A-Potty once. That doesn't count. -- Ray
"Wolf K." wrote:

Ask for a 2x4 in New Zealand and the timber yard guy will look at you funny. (twice, we went metric in 1974) :-)
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:50:39 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Weak, Greg. Weak. Is there a correspondence course for improving your non sequiturs? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

If you find one let us know if you pass.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:13:11 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Perhaps when I write one. It's fun to watch you lose an argument. As soon as you start realizing it, you leap into attacking something that is completely irrelevant. That's known as a . . . never mind. You couldn't possibly understand.
Now that, my friend, is a brilliant non sequitur about your poor use of the non sequitur. Take notes. -- Ray

Says who? *
like corkscrews.

It's another one of the things the Americans changed to distance themselves from their predominently British ancestry. "Brits will say '4 x 2' so we'll use '2 x 4'."
They do it all the time and have done since the revolution.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:18:16 -0800, Roger T. wrote:

That's not a bad reason, but there is also a logical basis. Two inch stock can end up ripped into 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 or 2x12 lumber; likewise 4 inch stock ends up as 4x4, 4x6, 4x8, etc. timbers. If I need a deck joist I know I want 4 imch stock and either 6 or 8 or 10 inches of depth dependent on the span.
--
Steve

Piffle. I would think it's more likely because of board stock - the 2 is the unchanging part in a lot of sizes, and so and it goes first.

I think you just made that up. *
like corkscrews.
"PV" <

Not really, think about it.
It started with the military.
Stripes the other way up.
Saluting short way up, long way down.
Shuffling feet instead of stamping feet.
Not swinging arms as much.
Rifle on edge and not flat and the shoulder arms.
And later Landing craft Tank rather than Tank Landing Craft.
Quonset hut Vs Nissen Hut.
Even Webster invented "Zee" to replace "Zed" so that the Americans would have a unique letter of the alphabet. And even spelling, the Americans decided to be different.
If you look at all the differences between American English and UK English, it seems a reasonable argument. Americans create unique American names for things, in may cases, just to be different.
And this is not an anti-American attack, it's just an observation 'cause I don't care what they call something, provided I can translate it back into real English. ;-)
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West

Oui!
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
PV wrote:

If he didn't, he should have. Actually, there has been a tremendous amount of borrowing both ways. For example, beware of assuming that an 'Americanism' is one - it's just as likely to be a Britishism imported by the Americans and exported back to Britain. As for Canadians - we take the best of both worlds. Or the worst. It all depends on whether we've had our morning coffee at Timmie's.
Then there's Anglicisms, alleged imports of English into Canadian French, most of which were originally French anyhow - like "stop", which derives from French "estopper", which derives from a Norse word that's related to the English "stuff".
I Hope This helps. Really. ;-)
PV wrote:

You can't slice 2" thick boards off 4" stock???

I think others have been through this already. That's not the way it's done. *
like corkscrews.
PV wrote:

I've done it! (in a commercial saw mill)
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:03:47 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

That's Greg for you. He went to a sawmill once to steal a bucket of sawdust and he's now an expert at sawing. Five minutes in the sawing room and he claims a lifelong knowledge of wood and stock.
I'd refer to him as a Bozo but that would insult clowns the world over. Not fair. -- Ray
PV wrote:

Me on this occassion!
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Ok, that's probably me. ;-)

Presuming one's beer will cost the same per volume, it doesn't matter whether a standard glass is imperial or metric. Our old 44 gallon drums held the same as your 55 gallon drums. Our new metric ones are exactly the same size. 5 miles/8 km, it's still the same distance to work and home again. A 4" x 2" or 100mm x 50mm is the same weight and strength. and so on.

That one I have to agree on - it's a good thing we have a twelve base counting system!

Of course someone is stopping them - the potential customers.
If it's such an all-fired superior system, then why hasn't

If I answered that I'd be accused of "American Bashing". ;-) 90+% of the world has adopted the Metric System.

That 5% of the world hasn't adopted SI??? How much of a majority do you need?
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:52:04 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

With the US being among them, Greg. How many times do you have to have that told to you? I mean, really. The US has DUAL standards of measure and has had that for more than 30 years now. Even Australia and New Zealand have not fully embraced metric. As I have illustrated, and strangely so have you, there are still holdouts. -- Ray