Newbie question :) be kind...

Brian Smith wrote:

In English speaking countries the _major_ dimension is said first.

Not in Canada or the USA, it isn't. A sheet of gyproc or plywood is 4x8, it's been that way for decades. Perhaps you need to get out more often. {;^)
On 1/20/2008 2:57 AM Brian Smith spake thus:

"Gyproc"; that's a new one on me. Apt. (Everyone 'round heah' calls the stuff by its trade name, Sheetrock, which bugs me. Don't hear it called "gypsum wallboard" or equivalent anymore.)

It was (more than likely) a Brand Name and the product is still called that here today. Very similar to the Kleenex name referring to any facial tissue.
Brian Smith wrote:

We call it drywall. See, even in Canada, there isn't a single term for the stuff. ;-)
HTH

As far as different parts of the country go, I guess you're correct.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:11:04 -0500, Wolf K. wrote:

We call it drywall and sheetroock interchangeably.
--
Steve

David Nebenzahl wrote:

G(regor)Y PROC(ter)?
Greg.P.
Brian Smith wrote:

As I've said before, I distinguish between 'English' and 'english'. Obviously you don't.
So tell me, if you're asked about the road route between (say) New York and Houston, do you quote the width or the length first?
Regards, Greg.P.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:02:59 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

There is no such thing as english. Only English. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

So are you saying that "English" and "English" are the same (LOL), or that "English" and "English" are different???
Greg.P.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:23:11 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Greg, what I am indicating is that the word English is never, ever spelled with a lower case first letter. I am indicating that if you believe those words are different then you are dumber than a box of hammers. Now I feel like I need a shower.
I've been so cruel to the hammers. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

If you believe your two meanings of English are the same then you're dumber than the box the hammers came in! Why do you always feel the need to get personal???

I most certainly do, here in Canada we speak English, whereas the Americans speak something similar but without proper pronounciation and spelling.

That is a totally different matter altogether.
Brian Smith wrote:

I beg to differ - the width is of so little importance that you wouldn't bother to mention it. If at some point or points it varied to less than a car width you might mention it.

Don't beg.

Maybe I would, but then again maybe I wouldn't.
Brian Smith wrote:

Were you the guy who directed me up that goat-track to the scenic lookout last Christmas???? =8^)

Not I, sir. If I were to direct someone up a cow path, I would warn them what to expect on their way. I'm not as miserable a person as my wife leads people to believe.
Brian Smith wrote:

Your wife? Was she the one I met on the goat-track? She's pretty!

LOL! She wasn't there, but you have described her very well.