Newbie question :) be kind...

Here in New Zealand signing (deaf and dumb language) is one of our legal (ie standard) languages, as is braille. Don't expect to find our road signs in braille or sign language on cornflake packets! When you get down to the nitty gritty, english is the standard language of communication here.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

In English speaking countries the _major_ dimension is said first.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On 1/19/2008 5:27 PM Greg Procter spake thus:

Or at least your fractured version of it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:08:21 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Were it true, that'd be a first.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:20:24 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Trains don't have feet, French or otherwise. They have wheels.

I mean, really, Greg. What do you take us for?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:17:20 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Greg, I brought up nautical miles and knots two days ago. Sleeping?

Then you agree. Both are used in many places. Including the US, by the way.

They did you a disservice. This is a world economy in which you exist. Like it or not.

He's not that old, either. I'm quite surprised about his usage.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:52:04 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

With the US being among them, Greg. How many times do you have to have that told to you? I mean, really. The US has DUAL standards of measure and has had that for more than 30 years now. Even Australia and New Zealand have not fully embraced metric. As I have illustrated, and strangely so have you, there are still holdouts.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:38:34 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

LOL

Grug is on his way to the frudge for a sux peck of beeah.

That's Kiwi for . . . oh never mind. Figure it out.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

A first for you to recognise!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Would you be convinced otherwise If I found you a drawing of a loco with feet?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not enough! ;-) However flying uses feet and nautical miles.

Of course - you don't find that a ridiculous situation???

Whether I like it or not, there's only one major nation avoiding using the World standard.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No Ray, the USa has put metrics on it's list of acceptable measuring systems, but it _hasn't_ adopted metrics.

How many times do you have to be told that the Easter Bunny isn't real?

No, the US Government has dual standards, the US doesn't.

No Ray, we fully embraced metrics - some NZers are reverting due to US influences, specifically US TV programming. There's a difference.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Tell me Ray, how many 'e's are there in Seeedneee? Do you alwaya have sex after five or are you allowed a night off once in a while?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Wow, that stinks.

Reply to
Steve Caple

The point is, the existence of a standard doesn't mean it is applied.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:16:32 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Not any more than New Zealand or Australia using them both as needed. Look, the entire point of this exercise was that you always manage to do your best to imply that the US is somehow at fault for everything you dislike about life. When you stop doing that, two things will happen.

  1. You will be much happier.
  2. You will appear to be a grownup instead of a child in tantrum.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:49:56 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

But it does mean that there are standards there. You can't remove them in your argument just because you don't like them or use them. The metric standard is one of two that are commonly used in the US. That's contrary to what was stated. I am correcting the error. Have been for 4 days now in spite of stubborn blockheads like you.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:20:41 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

The standards are in place. Contrary to what you brazenly claimed. Once again, you're wrong but won't admit it.

Oh, dear. Greg's lost this one so the non sequitur appears.

Both do. You're just a guy who can't accept the facts.

Aussies, Kiwis and Americans all use metric and Imperial when required. If you're not smart enough to do it, let those of us who are continue on without your comments.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Not in Canada or the USA, it isn't. A sheet of gyproc or plywood is 4x8, it's been that way for decades. Perhaps you need to get out more often. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:22:47 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

I was joking, Greg. You, on the other hand, have made yourself look as ignorant as a toad. Well done.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad