Newbie question :) be kind...

snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) writes:

In referring to gasoline? Yeah, I'll stick no "never". *
like corkscrews.
PV wrote:

You knew what was meant by "petrol". That suggests you've met the term somewhere! ;-)
Greg.P.
    pv+ snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (PV) writes:

Well, that makes you wrong. My doctor uses it on occasion. Yes, she is a transplant but, a US citizen living in the US and using the term.
And the term is widely understood in the US when it is used.
Paul N.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:53:24 -0000, Paul Newhouse wrote:

In jelly form, just prior to a finger wave?
--
Steve

Wrong doc!
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:53:37 -0000, Paul Newhouse wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0w2rORwSc

--
Steve

1. I knew what you were referring to. 2. I passed that on to some friends who may, or may not, appreciate it. I was ROTFLMA 3. Still not the Doctor I was referring to.
Paul
PV wrote:

The point is that Ray claims the US uses it's own measures and Metric meaures equally. This bit is really an NZ vs Aussie argument so you're exempt.
"Petrol" vs "Gasoline":
I've heard US tourists ask for "Gas" here in New Zealand. If you do that at a petrol station you're more than likely to be directed to the LPG or CNG dispensing system. Some youngsters get into US terminology (through US sourced TV and films presumably) I've been asked "Do you want gas", to which I answered "I want petrol, that's why I stopped beside the petrol pump rather than the gas dispensing pump")
When in Rome ... etc.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:22:56 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No, moron. I claim that they are both authorized means of weights and measures. Look it up.

See what I mean about Kiwi arrogance? It's your way or no way. Join the world, Greg. There ARE other people out there who may actually like Kiwis and visiting NZ. Until they get there and meet folk like you, that is. That'll put them off forever.
You're the ambassador of bad will.

That's because they've realized that GASOLINE is not the same as PETROLEUM, which seems to escape you. Those kids are not learning bad, evil ways from watching TV or movies. They're learning by using their own brains. Perhaps you should ask them next time.

You'd speak French. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

That's a neat wee changearound - I wonder if anyone noticed???

Arrogance has nothing to do with it - we call the product "petrol".

Of course it's not the same thing - I explained the origins of the two terms for you several posts ago. You are the only person attempting to equate the two.

Bonjour mon ami!
Greg Procter wrote:

More than a liter of Pepsi, less than a 750ml bottle of Captain Morgan.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

And cheaper than a 500ml bottle of water.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48 25' North Longitude: 123 21' West
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:40:45 -0800, Roger T. wrote:

Evian spelled backwards is . . .
--
Steve

Rick Jones wrote:

Ta!
Ray Haddad wrote:

Of course the Metric System is still in place, most of the world uses it. However, the US refusing to use it and your manufacturing being moved to China is resulting in a resurgence of your illogical US imperial system around the world.
Greg.P.

The USA does not use the Imperial System. They have their own abortion of a measurement system.
On 1/19/2008 12:50 PM Brian Smith spake thus:

Actually, I represent that remark.
It's not an "abortion", but rather an accretion, a collection of measurement units with historical roots. Most of which I, as a USAn consumer, have absolutely no problem with using. Seems to work fine for most of us here. The only folks I hear clamoring for metrification are usually pointy-headed scientific types. Ordinary consumers seem perfectly content with pints, quarts, inches, miles, yards, and so on. In fact, a lot of us *prefer* our binary (powers-of-two) and duodecimal-based units. Carpenters, for instance, find it easier to use a system where division by 2, 3 and 4 is easy; division by 10 is not an advantage here. (There's lots of material written on this out there, so please don't take my word for it.)
One of the things usually overlooked by the go-metric zealots is the fact that nobody is stopping US manufacturers from going metric all on their own. If it's such an all-fired superior system, then why hasn't industry here adopted it by now? That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of SI.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Some have, others not. It depends on their market. They won't sell much to the European industrial market if their products are not metric.
--
Best regards
Erik Olsen DK

That's exactly right. The standard is still in place in the US and allows for legal use of the units in manufacture. Many cars are now being manufactured using the cubic centimeter as the displacement descriptor and motorcycles have done it for decades. Model airplane engines adopted it quite easily often giving both displacements.
The lack of use is probably down to consumer reluctance or outright resistance. It's certainly not down to the US government stopping it as has been suggested by some here in this very discussion. -- Ray

LOL!

I know what you mean, a 2X4 is a 2X4 no matter what the measurements are in Metric.

It's simple, David. The general public in both your country and mine do not consider the Metric System to be of any value to us the consumers.