Newbie question :) be kind...

Greg Procter wrote in news:47918229.D1A71618 @ihug.co.nz:

This sounds like a job for a TI89. Boy oh boy did it make Physics class livable. It's easy to handle fractions and decimal both, and if you're working with different measurement units it will convert them for you, to whichever you specify. (Meters or feet by default.)

1:24... that's neither 1:22.5 or 1:29. I wish large scale manufacturers had actually picked 1:24 instead of the other two scales. There's so much 1:24 stuff out there, it probably makes its way on to garden railways anyway.

Scale can get to be almost as big of religious argument as metric vs US customary.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 1/18/2008 9:18 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Yes; they're the exceptions that [do not] prove the rule.

So we have soda and liquor, which are sold in metric measures.

I just checked, and *every single container* of food that I have has US customary units first, metric in parentheses.

We buy gas by the gallon.

Distances (driving, train travel, air travel) are invariably given in miles, speeds in miles per hour.

Lumber is sold exclusively in feet and inches. 2x4s, 4'x8' sheets of plywood, OSB, drywall etc.

Almost all hardware is in inch units (a few fasteners are in mm, but only a very few).

Fabric is sold by the yard.

Tools are measured in inches (drill bits, saw blades, knife blades, etc.).

Paint is sold by the pint, quart and gallon.

If this is "going metric", I'd like to see what *not* going metric looks like.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Every time I see an aircraft or locomotive weight, they are quoted in pounds. English weights would be tons. A US ton would be 2000lb, and English 2280 lb.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'm not responsible for Australia - however I have found if I ask a distance from A to B Aussies will give the distance in hours.

You aren't very good with facts - anyone quoting distances in miles in NZ has to be over 50 years old and too poor to have bought a roadmap since 1974.

We now get so much US TV programming youngsters talk in US measurements without any understanding of the measurements.

Sure, craftspeople are the last to change - I still use many of my grandfather's tools! A lathe will last a hobbyist a lifetime.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sure, one used standard, one unused standard!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Perhaps I misread others' comments? I read that you aren't changing.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The centimeter isn't an official metric measurement - you could go with the decimeter. (which also isn't an official measurement.

You must take very short steps!

1 m would be closer!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Don't forget I'm using them both at the same time!

3'6" / 24 = 1 3/4" or 1067 / 24 = c45mm.

I don't need to argue this one beccause it works reasonably well.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:26:22 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

No, miles is used in conversation and even in some writing.

What has map ownership to do with it? Two Kiwis living right next door to me travel to NZ a minimum of 4 times a year. Both of them have never used kilometer in discussing the distance to anything as long as I've known them. Not once.

Give them a bit more credit than that, Greg. Some people can learn conversion factors. Even some youngsters.

Old timers are old timers. I'm not surprised to learn that some youngsters are reluctant to let go either.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:27:15 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Contrary to your statement though. The US has gone metric. Just not totally metric. That would be insanity.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

But, matey, it ain't USED very much. I can't remember ever seeing one of the rare AND fleeting dual English/metric highway signs (lots of 'em in Canada, tho), lumber is still nominal English sizes, metric screws, nuts and bolts are in a special section WHEN available, etc. Now, soda cans DO say 12 fl oz (355 ml) - but note that the metric units are parenthetical.

So, as a practical matter, metric units are not much of a part of American life. I've got nothing against the metric system, although when driving in Europe I still do quick and dirty conversion to English miles so I have a feel for what the sign means when it says I'm 33 km from Arezzo.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:28:28 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Me? I'm in Australia. But you already know that.

I've been able to use both standards for most of my life. I learned metric and Imperial measures in my youth. I also learned pennyweights, drams, bushels and barrels. As well as Troy. And who can forget N.M. or knots - both still used by Kiwis and Aussies? I can use them all interchangeably when needed.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

But even Home of De Spot tells you the !/2" is really 12mm, not 12.7mm.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:37:21 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

Steve, I was merely pointing out to Greg that yet again he writes things he has no knowledge about. He is so quick to slam anything American that he lets fly a volley without even thinking properly.

As I pointed out in another post, I am fluent in all units of measure when I need to be.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Karmic revenge on former Empire / Commonwealth nations for Whitworth?

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 1/18/2008 11:43 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Oh, yes, you're the pips, you're the very model of the modern ... blowhard, that's for sure.

And you're *dead wrong* about the US having "gone metric", as others here are trying to help you to understand. Officially, maybe; in actuality, not a chance.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/18/2008 9:03 PM Greg Procter spake thus:

OK, fair enough. I'm curious: what is it about the way the Sherline is set up that distresses you that cannot be solved by conversions from one measurement system to another? Is it unable to cut the size threads you want? Is it that difficult to use because of the measurement system?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:48:28 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Then that's a yes. Dual standards. No problem.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:52:44 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

I'm pretty sure Greg mentioned what it was that troubled him. The unit is assembled using Imperial or SAE threads while being a metric machine. In truth, I had a Sherline which was in Imperial measure with extra pieces to make it metric.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On 1/19/2008 12:02 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

No, not dual standards; NON-METRIC.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl