Newbie question :) be kind...

PV wrote:

So how much is a litre of petrol these days?
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:59:32 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Anywhere from $2.73 to $3.25 per gallon. http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
Nobody in America uses petrol. Petroleum is what gasoline used to be before it became refined. Refined is probably a word that you need to look up, Greg. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I asked for ther price per _Litre_ Ray. You assured me that metrics were acceptable in the USa. I don't want the price per gallon because I don't know what a US gallon is, nor do I want to know./
Tell me the quoted price per Litre in the USa.
I also know about oil, petroleum, gasoline aand _petrol_. If you bothered to check the situation out you would find that producing "gasoline" and "petrol" were to somewhat different refining processes originally.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:31:04 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Did you miss the part about the US not using petrol? If so, read it again. They don't use petrol so there won't be a price per liter on it. Ever. Deal.

Then you are really, really dumb. Dumber than I first believed. I at least know what a liter is and can deal with metric. You claim to be the smartest man in the model railroad hobby and you can't even figure out what a US gallon is. How disturbing for you.

Go to the web site and use your superpower brain to convert it. http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
Can't do it? No surprise.

You're insane. -- Ray
On 1/21/2008 10:17 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

We *do* use petrol; we just don't *call* it petrol.
Unless you're trying to tell us that UK petrol wouldn't burn in a N. American car. I though that was Greg's line.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

One of my New Zealand motors has run in the US, but I've never taken one to the UK. However the product appears interchangable.
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:50:55 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Nor benzin nor benzina.
--
Steve

it's a gas, gas, gas!
Steve Caple wrote:

Yupp, we use "gas" here in New Zealand: Coal gas. - no longer available but used during WWII petrol rationing. LPG. - sold at petrol stations for cars with LPG conversions. CNG. - sold at petrol stations for cars with CNG conversions. Oxygen. - for gas welding. Acetyline. - for gas welding. Argon. - ditto. Hydrogen. etc.
For years I read about "Gas/electrics" in Model Railroader magazine and wondered how they got any respectable mileage from them without having huge gas bags attached. (assuming in the 1920s the gas would be coal gas)
Greg Procter wrote: [...]

You sure are isolated down there on your little islands, eh?
"Wolf K." wrote:

Was that a leap of logic, or just a leap?
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:50:55 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

With Greg, it's almost always down to semantics and his lack of understanding of the English language. Clearly, you managed to see what he cannot. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Hey dung-head, I know exactly what a litre is - it's the US gallon I don't know.

Of course I can figure out what a US gallon is - I don't want to and my your story I have no need to as the US uses both Litres and US gallons.

It's not my fault you can't do it. For that matter, why should it be done - you tell us that "Litres" is equally acceptable as US gallons in the US. Stop changing your story.

That would make you ignorant.

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:45:05 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Dung head? Oh, dear. You lose more ground when you slip into ad hominem.

You just stated it was impossible. Make up your mind, Greg. Either you're too stupid (something you cannot help) or you're ignorant (something you can help). Either way, you claimed you couldn't ever figure it out. Now you state that you can.

The fact is that gasoline COULD be sold legally in the US by the liter. That's what having dual standards is all about. There are still pumps (or there were in 2005 when I last traveled across the USA by car) that dispense fuel and indicate both measures.

You remain the expert in being ignorant, Greg. Petrol is the quaint little name for gasoline here in Oz and NZ. Petrol is short for petroleum, not gasoline. Your car runs on either diesel or gasoline. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

The impossibility is to know _which_ particular gallon is being discussed in an international forum.

So you can quote me the price per Litre in 2005!

No Ray, "petrol" is not short for "petroleum". "Petrol" is short for "Refined petroleum" - the stuff that yanks call "oil".
"Gasoline" was so named because it was originally/is a distilate of "oil/petroleum", ie seperated in a gaseous state. "Petrol" was originally obtained by allowing oil to seperate into layers by weight/density.
I have a number of choices for powering my car: - Petrol. - Diesel. - CNG. (AKA "Gas") - LPG. (AKA "Gas") - Electricity. - Cooking oil. - Alcohol.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:56:11 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Still needing help? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Only if I at some time in the future need to buy petrol in the USa during 2005. If that ever happens I'll definitely think of you!
Regards, Greg.P.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:58:02 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

If I ever invented a time machine, I'd go back in time and give it to myself so I wouldn't have to invent it later. Still waiting. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I've always considered time machines to be proven impossible because no-one ever comes back. (nor forward)
Of course it may just be that we live in the worst ever time.

The word "petrol" is never used in the US.
What was the point of that sentence anyway? *
like corkscrews.
    pv+ snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (PV) writes:

"Never"??? It certainly isn't common usage. Paul N.