Newbie question :) be kind...

On 1/18/2008 10:30 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Not true; metrification efforts have repeatedly failed here. There's some, but most commerce, etc., is carried out in our old Imperial, etc., units.

The military and scientific organizations use metric, but everyone else buys quarts of milk, gallons of paint, lumber by the foot and the inch, fabric by the yard, etc., etc. We're very defiantly anti-metric here (with which I agree wholeheartedly).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

News to me! We still get massed in pounds. Not kilograms, WE still buy milk, Oil and Gasoline in Gallons, Not liters. We DO buy soda (in bottles) in one through three liter sizes, in cans and cans it is measured in ounces *geez talk of a schitzo world!* . Temprature is mesured in Farenheit. I embrace the matric system myself, I am an American.

Reply to
B'ichela

I was on active duty with the US Army then and almost every unit and each major headquarters staff element had to appoint someone as the unit "metrification" officer. Of course, it usually fell to the newest 2nd lieutenant as another additional duty. :)

Reply to
Whodunnit

The dual distances lasted about 3-4 years at best in the mid-70s. Haven't seen one in over 20 years. Both our 1999 Mercury Marquis and Mercury Mystique as well as two prior autos, 1981 Datsun and 1984 Nissan, had speedometers ONLY in MPH.

Reply to
Whodunnit

On 1/18/2008 11:19 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

You've got to be joking, "mate" (or, more likely, talking out of both sides of your arse as per usual).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ray Haddad skriver:

They are still converting to the metric system - inch by inch.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

As I said: I did not notice...

Reply to
wim van bemmel

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:28:16 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Notable exceptions being the 2 liter bottle of cola? Like I stated, it's dual and it is the standard of the land. If you're not smart enough to use it, don't worry. You can still use Imperial.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:02:09 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Klaus D. Mikkelsen" instead replied:

LOL

Oh, yeah.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:00:32 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

No, of course. That'd be you failing to research properly.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I think you meant to say 24.4mm by 25.4mm.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Hopefully not ...

Reply to
Erik Olsen DK

Except for plywood, which may be marked in English units but is made metric.

Reply to
Steve Caple

In the Navy they called that guy the SLJO (always a JO - or Junior Officer) for Shitty Little Jobs Officer.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 1/18/2008 12:47 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

OK, "mate", show me the preponderance of road signs here with both customary and metric units on them. Go on.

Around here (California), there are NONE.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/18/2008 1:00 PM Steve Caple spake thus:

Made, perhaps, but not sold. When have you ever bought a piece of 122 cm by 244 cm plywood? (I mean here in the US.) Try asking for that at Home Despot sometime and see what kind of reaction you get.

Interestingly enough, there are counter-examples. For instance, everyone points to the existence of 35mm film as proof of the natural superiority of the metric system. But it turns out that the actual specification for that film width is 1-3/8", not 35mm.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:35:40 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

It's irrelevant to model railroading and to this discussion. Take a hike, David.

Tell you what, mate. Show me where metric is off the books in the US. It isn't. Guess what? Whatever stance you take, the opposite is almost always the case. Just because YOU didn't embrace it doesn't mean metric is not a standard in the US. Look it up before you embarrass yourself yet again.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray Haddad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Scientific "world" in the US is fully metric. They measure mass in grams (or kilograms), distance in meters, and time in seconds.

The DIY world has been dragged kicking and screaming towards the metric system ever since the first metric tools were invented.

Oh, and the double system used on roadways is not off-topic here. It's something someone may choose to model.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:47911c9d$0$1259$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

It's WORSE! Plywood is sold mixing systems. Theres 9mm and 13mm thicknesses, in standard 4'x8' sheets. They're specified as such too.

I wish we'd either go no metric or all metric. I hate this mixing of systems.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

B'ichela wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pinkrose.net.dhis.org:

Nitpick: Mass is grams and slugs, weight is Newtons and pounds.

Sorry, left over habit from a physics class where you had to know the difference.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper