Newbie question :) be kind...

wrote:

The dual distances lasted about 3-4 years at best in the mid-70s. Haven't seen one in over 20 years. Both our 1999 Mercury Marquis and Mercury Mystique as well as two prior autos, 1981 Datsun and 1984 Nissan, had speedometers ONLY in MPH.
On 1/18/2008 11:19 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

You've got to be joking, "mate" (or, more likely, talking out of both sides of your arse as per usual).
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:00:32 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

No, of course. That'd be you failing to research properly. -- Ray
On 1/18/2008 12:47 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

OK, "mate", show me the preponderance of road signs here with both customary and metric units on them. Go on.
Around here (California), there are NONE.
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:35:40 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

It's irrelevant to model railroading and to this discussion. Take a hike, David.

Tell you what, mate. Show me where metric is off the books in the US. It isn't. Guess what? Whatever stance you take, the opposite is almost always the case. Just because YOU didn't embrace it doesn't mean metric is not a standard in the US. Look it up before you embarrass yourself yet again. -- Ray
instead replied:

The Scientific "world" in the US is fully metric. They measure mass in grams (or kilograms), distance in meters, and time in seconds.
The DIY world has been dragged kicking and screaming towards the metric system ever since the first metric tools were invented.
Oh, and the double system used on roadways is not off-topic here. It's something someone may choose to model.
Puckdropper
marching band.
On 18 Jan 2008 22:12:27 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and

Out of curiosity, what type of measure is metric time?
Just kidding. Couldn't help myself. -- Ray
On 1/18/2008 4:54 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Well, you may have been joking, but metric time actually was seriously proposed, most famously at the time of the French Revolution: http://www.indopedia.org/Metric_time.html . (Thank <insert deity here> it was never implemented!)
instead replied:

The reason I mentioned time specifically is because of the mks and cgs methods of physics measurements. The s stands for seconds. (m meters, k=kilograms, cntimeters, g=grams)
Puckdropper
marching band.
Puckdropper wrote:

Didn't NASA send a spacecraft to Mars recently with a computer programmed in both imperial and metric?

I get amused at the local US modelling group that uses US module standards. They have to put a 20mm/40mm wide strip of top surface wood across the end of each module to bring the 1200mm/2400mm board size up to the US 1220/2440mm standard.

Greg.P. NZ

What the story with that spacecraft was the onboard computers were programmed in inch/feet/mile and all spacecraft commands and telemetry are sent in metric.
--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member
Jack wrote:

Isn't that an illustration of a problem caused by concurrently having two standards? ;-)
Greg.P.
Greg Procter wrote:

I don't know how many standards the space guys use. One for every major and minor system, I imagine. Dozens and dozens of 'em.
Measuring systems are not the same as standards.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:53:51 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

The entire world has more than just two standards, Greg. Open those eyes of yours. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

I'm way ahead of you Ray.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:08:21 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Were it true, that'd be a first. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

A first for you to recognise!
Ray Haddad wrote:

If I was modelling US railways I'd now be busy changing all the road signs back to MPH after changing them to dual mph/kph after reading your previous posting. I don't think it's irrelevant.

Wouldn't someone have to use it for it to be a _real_ standard there?
Greg.P. NZ
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:38:17 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

They do the same thing as here in Oz and down there. I know for a fact, and so do you, that many of your residents still refer to distances in miles. Perhaps this generation of young people will be the first to use only metric but right now, just as in the US, both are in use down here.
I went to a wood working show in September and didn't here centimeters used once. It was all inches and feet. The old timers just don't want to change. -- Ray
instead replied:

FYI, in big cities distances aren't given in miles or kilometers. They're given in minutes. If you're in the Midwest US one night, try tuning in AM 780 from Chicago on the 8's as evidence. (You'll hear something like "Westbound Eden to the Junction 34 minutes.")

I think the big trouble is the meter's too big or the centimeter's too small. There needed to be a unit approximately the size of a foot, or even a half-meter. JMHO.
Are my steps approximately 2 feet apart, or 60 cm? Hm... 60+60+60+60+60+ 60, or 2+2+2+2+2+2... which one's easier for the common person? (I'll give you a hint. Numbers over 10 scare people.)

Puckdropper
marching band.