Newbie question :) be kind...

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:27:33 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Clearly you haven't been following this closely enough. I was in the US in 2005 for an extended time. There were still some pumps using both measures. Look, you don't like metric. That's pretty clear. You may even be as pig ignorant as Greg but in the opposite direction. That would allow you to see those pumps and not even notice that there was an oddball sort of display there reading in a foreign tongue to you. It's OK, David. You can remain in the dark if you wish but remember that you do it by choice. Enjoy.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

In Southern California, U. S. A., in the '70s there were gasoline pumps that were calibrated for and dispensed in liter quantities. I suspect that they have long since been replaced due to 'wearing out'. I can't check in person as I no longer live in Calif.

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

The pump probably wasn't built to charge more than 99.9? per unit of volume. It was cheaper to change from gallons to liters than to replace the pump.

Reply to
Jason Davies

On 1/25/2008 12:35 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Just out of curiosity, where were these pumps?

Cut the condescending crap. I certainly would have remembered seeing a gas pump that reads in gallons *and* metric. Like I said, I've never seen one.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:22:53 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

San Diego, 2005. Plenty of them. Not every one of them, but plenty.

Well, I guess that settles it. Have you ever seen a trilobite? A brown tree snake? A protozoa? Perhaps they don't exist.

I suggest that you did see them when they were in use in your area but you chose to ignore the measurement because of personal resistance to metric. In that, Greg is right. Many Americans resisted so hard that they refuse to buy a 39" yard stick even though 1000mm was on one side and 36" + the extra 3" on the other.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray, oh great brain-dead one, you haven't stated _which_ gallon. How can I possibly convert to litres from gallons without that information???

Great - what the hell are you arging about in that case???

No Ray - I have no problem with yanks mis-spelling "litre". I haven't argued about the spelling.

Look back a line Ray, _YOU_ are the one arguing spelling, not me.

Reply to
Greg Procter

LOL. I'm not suggesting _I_ think it to be absurd, I'm telling you it _is_ absurd - live with it and your own absurdity - you deserve it.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

So, you accept that you are beyond hope. Even that acceptance is a small ray of hope!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

What point would there be in children of other nations learning measurements which are exclusively of the USa?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Paul, I began here stating a serious position. Every man and his dog have come back at me claiming the absurd is normal and logical. I currently have enough spare time to answer everyone. Paul has continually attempted to explain the absurd to me and expects me to accept it as he has done.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I have to admit that I assumed Ray to be an Aussie. I have said that and he has never corrected me.

Australia (pre metrication) used Imperial measures, so any Australian mentioning "gallons" can be assumed to be refering to Imperial gallons, just as any New Zealander can be. US measures were never a part of the ciriculum of either nation.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You have been misinformed. Pull a Benny Hill or a Monty Python off the shelf and listen to the pitiful attempts at an American accent by these oh-so-versatile UK actors you praise.

It is to laugh.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:23:22 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

I've mentioned it many times before. Alzheimer's?

They still are. My daughter was constantly discussing her TEE homework with me and asking me for help with her math conversions. She graduated high school in 2001. When anyone here mentions a 44 gallon drum they almost always add, "that's the same as your 55 gallon drum." They all learned that in high school.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:16:40 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Must be that kids in the USA come out smarter than yours.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:07:01 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Good grief, Greg, even the most casual follower of these threads can see that YOU just made a spelling lame. Those were your words declaring that Aussies can't spell. Not mine.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:31:49 -0800 (PST), I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "video guy -

" instead replied:

Very true. Any actor with voice coaching can do a passable accent of another English speaking country. Just takes practice.

Being as I live in Australia and have an American accent, I'm often asked how long I've lived here and why I haven't lost my accent by now. Truth is, if I learn a word here that is Australian, I speak it as any other Aussie would. But if I were to change my speech patterns to match my friends here, I'd feel as if I were making fun of them somehow. I've adopted some local Aussie vernacular into my speech like "mate," "barbie," "footie," or "prawns" because they're so commonly used here. My accent will likely remain unchanged no matter how long I live here.

Can I fake it? Yep. Like a pro. That comes from hearing it day in and day out. I don't, though.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

How is your health, Greg?

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

Check out the relative illiteracy rates of school leavers, Ray. (if you can read)

Reply to
Greg Procter

The spelling lame was "litre", followed by _your_ spelling lame and finally (do you understand "finally"?) my retort.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Is that a genuine question?

I was flattened by an unlicenced driver some decades back. Op number 17 is somewhere just over the horizon. Meanwhile I'm trying to set up two small businesses based at home so I'm chasing builders, electricians, plumbers, drainlayers, concrete contractors etc.

I'll survive a few more decades.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter