Newbie question :) be kind...

On 1/24/2008 6:27 PM Greg Procter spake thus:

BULLSHIT.

In a message very close to this one, responding to a list of words with American spellings, you said, "If you can't spell that is entirely your problem.". Now you're trying to claim you're not arguing about the spelling of words? Sheesh.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/24/2008 6:39 PM Eddie Oliver spake thus:

Hey, Eddie, what do you say we get out of here, go have a drink, and let this idiot stew in his own juices?

That's what I'm going to do, anyhow: a nice big martini, gin, I think, nice and cold. Ahhhhh.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Of course not - all you have to do is memorise them!

LOL pot-kettle.

Reply to
Greg Procter

THAT is exactly what they're doing right now - the position YOU are supporting.

I responded to postings claiming my spellings are wrong. Am I not allowed a gentle swipe back at utter arrogance?

Reply to
Greg Procter

If you're going to find me guilty of a crime by way of using my defence as the evidence, and the crime, then you're most definitely arrogant in the extreme! Usually crimes need to be committed _before_ the trial, not in defence. Have you handled any good inquisitions lately? Gitmo perhaps?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Shall I find you guilty of whatever crime I decide you're going to commit now, or should I wait until the lynching?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yes, David, I reckon that's great advice. There's no point in treating totally sunken ships as though they were still slightly afloat and had some remote hope of rescue.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

Yes he is.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Ray,

Greg is attention starved. He craves attention ... any attention. Look at the idiotic statements and positions he takes. By being an ass he gets more attention. He is just swelling up with satisfaction by your responses. You've done your good deed for the year.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:22:43 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

So what? I at least know the conversion factors while you feign ignorance. Or, perhaps you really are that ignorant. Nobody can tell any more, Greg. You have plenty of folk convinced, though.

They are. So what? You keep pretending you need help converting. You can't have it both ways, Greg. Either you do or don't know the equivalents. Either you do or don't know the conversions. Did you believe you were being clever, trying to trap someone? All you did was ask an imponderable question and you got what you deserved. You got digitally smacked around more then you normally do. Deal.

That's the entire point, Greg. You assume way too much. If you don't know the answer to a smart alec question like you asked, perhaps you should refrain from asking it. The process you chose only made you look really, really ignorant by choice.

You're so confused that you confused half a dozen others here, Greg. And for the record, I use all manner of measurements. When someone states they are using a gallon of something, I know what that amount is. I don't need to go spinning around like a top "a la Greg Procter" just to try and make a point. When you wrote "1 litre" I knew you meant 1000ml, or 1 liter without having make a pork chop of myself pretending that you were wrong just for using a term.

I have a bottle of Grey's Ant and Termite poison in my shed. The label says to mix it at the ratio of 100ml per quart of water or kerosene. On a separate sticker, it states to mix 100ml per liter. Yes, LITER, not LITRE. And this is an Australian brand manufactured and bottled right here. Yet I don't run screaming, rending my garments as I flee from my shed proclaiming to the world that Australian measures are all messed up. And I certainly don't come to a MRR newsgroup to complain like some Kiwi I know. Grow up, mate.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 03:58:05 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

The road to heaven is paved with messages to Greg. Not from him. Those go the other way.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Which conversion factors - you live in Australia, a nation that used different measurements to the USa.

Then there's no need for me to know a conversion factor for US gallons - I'll just buy litres.

I've never suggested I need help converting - however I do need to know _what_ I am converting. An ignorant Australian pretending Australian and US gallons are the same gives me no confidence at all in his opinion.

You've already pretended to have it both ways - you're brought up with (imperial) gallons and you claim US gallons are gallons.

No, I don't know the equivalents - I know that there are approximately

4.5 gallons to the litre and that there are about 1.25 US gallons to a real gallon. An approximation times an approximation is pure rubbish.

You're the smartarse trying to trap someone - specifically me.

As I remember it you claimed that both litres and gallons were used equally in the USa. You were told that was crap by an assortment of people but you continue.

Ohh, I see, I should assume more where your opinion counts and less when my opinion counts - that's entirely clear!

Meanwhile, you make yourself l;ook like a totally arrogant pratt.

Ray, you don't even know that the gallons you were brought up with are

25% bigger than the ones we are discussing - you refuse to recognise that you're totally bamboozled and you refuse to admit that you're totally wrong when numerous people point it out to you.

As do I Ray.

No you don't Ray, because you need one more bit of information - which gallon is being discussed.

Oh wow! you really are so smart. It's a world wide standard measure Ray.

or 1 liter without having make a pork chop of

But that's exactly what you did - you argued the spelling of "litre".

Great - will you use Imperial quarts or US quarts??? Will you use imperial mls or US mls?

Ok, so Aussies can't spell, that's no surprise to anyone.

You probably aren't smart enough to notice the difference.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ok, so I'm in heaven and you're from hell working your way up. Poor Ray, it must be purgatory for you!

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:47:51 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Whichever ones are required, Greg. I really can decide which without making myself look like a flopping fish in a model railroad newsgroup like you are doing. Really.

If you wish. Gasoline is legally dispensable in both gallons and liters there. Some pumps actually have both on them but you'll have to hunt around for them if you really are too stupid to figure out when your tank is full. Most people realize it when the gasoline slops over the edge of the filler pipe onto their shoes. You, on the other hand, may need someone to convert that for you.

No, Greg. We've already established that that's you.

Um, Greg? Australians don't use gallons. Do Kiwis use them?

Whew. At least you're off that "Imperial US gallons" thing. You still don't win the $5.00 because you haven't given up pretending to be pig ignorant. And, if you're not pretending, you'd be too dumb to know the difference.

Look it up on Google, boy, and try again.

Nobody needs any help trapping you, Greg. A wombat could trap you.

They are used in the US as a dual standard and have been since 1970.

Is this about opinions? If it were, I wouldn't even engage you as your opinions are worth about the same as burnt match heads.

Compared to what? A totally ignorant one like you?

When someone - I think it was you - brought up US gallons versus liters, the normal, intelligent person would have known which kind of gallons were being discussed and made the conversions easily. You, on the other hand, remain in the dark.

Clearly not. You've shown no evidence of that for days now.

Now you're telling me what I know or don't know? Speaking of arrogant, boy, you take the cake.

I do know the amount. Exactly. When someone mentions a gallon of gasoline from the US, how much is there, Greg? Why, one gallon. How much did you think it was?

That's right. World wide. Without exception. Even in the US which you so brashly claimed didn't use that standard.

That was you, Greg. Not me.

I'll use a quart or a liter. In the case of this particular mix it doesn't appear to be that critical.

Ahem. Spelling problems again?

I can spot your tantrums a mile off.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Free clue - nobody gives a shit what you think is absurd. *

Reply to
PV

I give up. I'm tired of trying to explain that to Greg. *

Reply to
PV

On 1/25/2008 12:51 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Correction: Here (U.S.), gas (gasoline, or "petrol" to you) is *always* dispensed in gallons. NEVER in liters. I challenge you to show me a single specific counter-example.

We buy gas by the gallon here, NOT by the liter. (It may be legally acceptable to dispense it by metric measures, but it just ain't done.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:11:46 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

I've already stated that some pumps show both. It's legal, you know. And they exist. Prove they don't.

So what? That's never been the question under discussion here. Greg stated that the US doesn't use metric. I disagree. I'm American. I use metric. And Imperial. And other forms of weights and measures. I have since I was a child. Learned it in school. Most Americans do.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Greg understands perfectly well, what you are explaining and what he is doing. It's an attention game for him.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

On 1/25/2008 12:07 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Sorry, the burden of proof here is on *you*. I've never, never, ever seen a gas pump here with metric measures. Never. Where have you seen them? Has anyone else ever seen any in the US? Any examples?

First of all, you're an American who's kibitzing from afar in Oz. And you're still claiming metric usages that don't exist here in the US.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl