oil on moving parts?

On 10/22/2007 7:03 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

But a conversation makes *no sense* in top-posting order. To wit:
Can I make models out of oatmeal?
See, it only takes a ridiculous example to show you why this is a bad idea.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:03:23 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Of course it does. Just like any conversation around the barbecue switches from sports to trucks to fishing to the neighbor's shorts after a few brews. Simultaneously, no less!

David, I agree that it makes more sense for the most part. What doesn't make sense is the NetKop attitude in demanding that others conform to YOUR way or NO way. Try as you may, if I want to post on the top, I will. Want to see me do it again? -- Ray

No, conversations follow an order of continuity. What I mean by random is answering the question before it's asked, which is what top posting does (especially if you missed the prior post in the thread originally for whatever reason or read a high volume of messages in a day). Top posting also makes it difficult to correct the goofed quoting to maintain proper context and continuity later.
Mindless bottom posting is a waste of bandwidth, sending the same ever-expanding trail of chipmunk droppings back and forth and forcing people wanting to read it to scroll down through the pile of dung to get to the new information. Threaded newsreaders aren't nything new, and if you DO miss a message they make it easy to go back up the thread tree and find what you missed or forgot.
--
Steve

On 10/23/2007 8:18 PM Steve Caple spake thus:

I'll tell you what's a waste of bandwidth, my trollish friend: a pathetically transparent attempt to impersonate another regular around here. BZZZZZZZZZT!
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:06:37 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Spanky, is that you pretending to be Nebenzahl?
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

That's why Good Qouting Practice is not only about top or bottom posting but also about only qouting what is needed and deleting the rest. This is also covered by http://learn.to/quote /
--
Venlig hilsen
Erik Olsen

Enough, Erik. Put your handcuffs and badge away now. -- Ray

Unless you never received the previous message, it had an unusually short expiration or was cancelled. You keep forgetting propagation isn't a gaurantee, even in 2007.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:18:56 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Try making that point at a party. Or, better yet, make that point with a group of Australians. -- Ray

It still stands. Even at parties, unless you're the guy who's too drunk to know they're too drunk, conversations don't go through the absolute non-sequitors top posting creates by definition.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 03:15:21 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Nonsense. Here in Australia, it's quite normal to have 5 or 6 people in a group all speaking at one time. No kidding. It has everything to do with my point.
Besides, post where you wish. That's all I'm stating. Stop being an idiot trying to define who can do what. You have no rights here as a NetKop. Take your badge elsewhere and make demands. -- Ray

That's not just an Australian thing, and yet people at the party still are not speaking in random order, just several distinct threads.

Stop being so retarded as to think that's what's going on. Quit getting butt-sore that you were called out for not making sense.
They post on top because they can. And because you can't stop them. All your whining and complaining make no difference except to illustrate that you are willing to continue posting off topic ad nauseam simply because you are a NetKop on a mission.
See the balance of my post below.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:02:48 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You have no idea about Aussies. Trust me on this one.

Why not spend more time discussing railroading or modeling instead of trying to impose your warped standards of how to use a newsgroup?
Some people top post.
Some people middle post
Some people bottom post.
They can post any way they wish. When you complain about it, others do this: See the message at the start of this post. -- Ray

Americans /can/ drive on the left of the road on two way streets, but that doesn't make it right.

They're not warped, yours are. I present RFC 1855 as evidence.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:16:02 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

A request for comments is not a rule you can enforce as a NetKop. It's also nothing more than a request for comments. Haven't you figured that out yet?
In case you missed this bit: This memo does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
In other words, it allows you an official place to vent your feelings about this issue without annoying those who wish to post on the top of a message because they like that better.
See how that works? It's called freedom. -- Ray

And yet, you missed the important part:
) In the past, the population of people using the Internet had "grown ) up" with the Internet, were technically minded, and understood the ) nature of the transport and the protocols. Today, the community of ) Internet users includes people who are new to the environment. These ) "Newbies" are unfamiliar with the culture and don't need to know ) about transport and protocols. In order to bring these new users into ) the Internet culture quickly, this Guide offers a minimum set of ) behaviors which organizations and individuals may take and adapt for ) their own use.
Quit arguing that acting like a terminal newbie is a Good Thing when it's well established that it's not.
TOP POSTING! See how that works?
On 26 Oct 2007 08:15:26 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and

You're quoting that like it's important or something. To you? Oh, dear. A Request For Comments is nothing more than a collection of people whining.
There's nothing you can do about top posting. Give it up and resume discussing trains. Or, continue to act like a pork chop and do your best to try to get me to stop . . . (see above) -- Ray
Paul Johnson wrote:

Since GWB got into office(?)
Greg.P.

That's specific to the Georgonics dialect of English and not widespread...