Poll - Modeling Era

NIce try, but your child like attempts at trolling are not working STEVE CAPLE. We know you and your sockpuppets, so does God and he is not happy I am
sure with you
On Mar 4, 7:30�pm, STEVE CAPLE> wrote:

<STEVE CAPLE>(Curt Sockpuppet) wrote in message

Listen steve, settle down- you cannot risk another stroke getting all worked up here. Also- it's considered "bad form" to have these exchanges like this with both our posts so close in timestamps- it's obvious that you and I are the same person- just posting as different people.

You are my sockpuppet so listen settle down before get spanked again.
-----
Brad, or is it Steve?
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com wrote:

You'll not be warned, again.
--
ah

Thanks- and please stop crossposting here. Fuckface.

Your aim is off. At least you won't breed this way.
--

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

This is your final warning.
--
ah

brad spake thus:

Uh, Brad, I think this person is just a citizen (apparently from alt.corel) caught in the crossfire, not one of the Mongol Horde.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
Mark Mathu wrote:

MM:
My railroad is suffering from nonexistence at present, and the era has always been iffy. My last one, such as it was, tried to be something around 1890 but probably ended up more like 1912, and at present I'm trying to find a way to reconcile a liking for early equipment with a desire to model newer things. For instance, I want to take a shoebox and build a Walmart. Maybe I should just do what I like and not worry about eras overly much. At any rate, it's mostly moot at present, since the house isn't fixed up enough to be doing much railroading (Yay, wet basements and battered shingles. At least I have most of the prewar crumble wire replaced by now).
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track, a wet basement, and some plans
My/our approach is reflected in the slogan for the Central Valley Terminal Railroad: "At the crossroads of time and space".
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

--
Hank Murray
Quincy, IL
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

My layout is in the same stage as yours, though I know what I like. :-{) My collection is a bit schizophrenic as a result. My primary era will be the late 1930s, just prior to archbar trucks being banned. I like the old Central Valley and Silver Steak kits with truss rods and archbar trucks, etc. Actually, the Central Valley kits are, I think, representative of the late 1800s and probably would not have still been around at that time but I'm willing to bend the era just because I like those old kits so much. All of my steam era stuff will be based around this time. My second era of interest is the early 1960s. I have a UP turbine and C-855, some other diesels from about that time, and a separate batch of rolling stock appropriate to that era. I also have the Walthers Super Chief set with a set of PAs substituting for the F units. Yeah, I know the Walthers set is supposed to be 1951 and not accurate for 1963. Modeler's license. 1963 is the chosen year for this batch of equipment because it was the year the C-855s were built and the UP still had a couple of turbines they had not yet retired at that time.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

I agree with you as to choice of era. To a steam enthusiast, the '30s are a delight. The Depression may have slowed down new loco production a bit, but, it really curtailed the retirement of older types. As we shifted to a war economy at the end to that decade, there was even greater reason to keep the old-timers around. Here are some roster figures obtained from the book "Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route" by Corbin and Kerka which illustrate what I'm trying to say. If these numbers are atypical, I'm sure someone will supply the appropriate correction:
1935 - 1080 - - sixteen "types" in terms of Whyte classification. 1940 - 1010 - - fifteen (last 4-4-0s scrapped) 1945 - 949 - - no change
I also have a second interest. Heavy electric locos. No steam is allowed in one "city". The amount of trackage devoted to the "juice jacks" is not great. There are, however, two points which allow for the interchange of steam and electric motive power to service said city. I have relative few Diesel units on my railroad. One, however, an MDC box-cab, does service a small car ferry in the same metropolis. Pollution (smole) abatement is not a completely new idea. One thing I have not, and probably will not, construct is a catenary system. I've tried, but, seem to be too clumsy for coexistence with same. I do plan to erect some fake outside third rail in the passenger terminal. Thank you.
Jerry

HM:
I suggest you add a British police box somewhere unobtrusive. Nothing like a Time Lord or two to keep things running smoothly. (Well, those who have watched Doctor Who may disagree with the last part of that.)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

tj:
I like that idea...I was thinking I might go for the mid-30s and just ignore my few diesels.
Jerry wrote:

J:
I've toyed with the idea of electrifying. One neat feature of having a terminal electrification like you are describing is that it adds time to the run, and some extra moves when you cut in the electrics.
How about adding some MU cars when you get that third rail down?
Also...what sort of car ferry? Is it a float or a boat?
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.
On Mar 8, 1:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Very true, but there's even more fun at my passenger terminal. It has five tracks, three of which are designated as in-bound. These are accessed to a "functional" turntable. (A freely rotating Atlas unit with an elongated bridge.) An in-coming train undergoes the following routine; The road engine is uncoupled and then escapes for possible servicing using the tt and another inbound track. An electric switcher then disassembles the old train, one car at a time, for reassembly on an out-bound track. This is done from the rear. If an observation car present, its direction is changed via the tt. Pullman cars, coaches and diners are not rotated, but, combines are treated like observations. Head-end cars are taken to the appropriate baggage and/ or mail facilities to be replaced by new units. Finally the road engine is attached and the new train returns back to the interchange point. This can take up to an hour to perform.

I don't think I will. To be honest, I just don't like their looks. I would really like to operate a two car articulated unit similar to the old Pittman "Bride and Groom" with pantographs. Construction should present no problems, BUT, it would be too long for my tt. I do run a modified Atherne RDC but only as a single unit.

It's a float. It is mounted with a nearly HO scale tugboat along side on top of a small wheeled table. It has three tracks and can comfotably hold fifteen freight cars. It's employed as an interchange unit. Once it receives its consist, it is rolled away to have the old cars replaced and then returned to the slip. Its tracks are not powered. The Diesel switcher servicing this area uses spacer cars to load or retrieve the freight cars.
HTH. Thamk you.
Jerry

On 8 Mar 2007 13:18:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Terminal electrification has largely been replaced by lethal injection.
--
Steve

You first troll.
-- I can't remember where I read it, but in one of the non-official histories of WP it was revealed that in some proto-version, straight from the primordial soup, the encyclopedia was in fact to be written by anyone, but with editorial oversight by People With A Clue. In this story, it was written that none other than Jimbo Wales sat down and got to work on some economic theory article or something ... and then, if I remember this right, he started to get that unusual sensation one gets while writing a test or doing homework or, in general, just plain educating oneself. He though "Damn, someone is going to mark this!", and Jimmy didn't like that. So instead he invented a system where the TA's are less educated than he is. Bullshit baffles brains, and intuitively he realized that the more BS, or the less brains, the easier the job is. Thus Wikipedia, where as soon as you demonstrate you are transcending the system, you are kicked out...
- An illuminating insight into the mess that is Wikipedia, from Wikipedia Review (http://wikipediareview.com ).
A pathetic troll hiding behind the obvious nym " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" spake thus:

For anyone who might have thought that was me posting, notice 2 things about that sig up above:
1. It's not my current sig (see below); the troll is at least 1 version behind. 2. Look at the terrible formatting; the pathetic loser couldn't even get THAT right.
You are the troll "David" you change your sig each day (always some inane nonsense about Wikipedia) and then you say 'see, it is a different sig so it is no me trolling'.
We know you are ruining this group over and over again. I can't keep up with your names to kill file them all.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake thus:

All I can say, peeples, is check the headers, check the headers ...
Check you head David, which is buried up your ass. You troll this group with fake names and free accounts and are trying to ruin the group. We won't let you king troll.