Poll - Modeling Era

Great suggestion! Forgot about the good old Dr. Who.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

--
Hank Murray
Quincy, IL
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Interesting that you mention electrics. I have some interest in heavy electrics like the GN and MILW ran in the Northwest. There's even a bit of madness that has considered putting up catenary on the main line to run some of that stuff, if I could afford to buy it in brass. I'm not familiar with the years in which GN and MILW ran their various heavy electrics, or when the wires finally came down. I do have a couple of brass trolleys and plan to have something running around the eventual city portion of my layout. Another bit of extreme madness within me even considers trying to build a grand union in the center of the city, with overhead.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

My favorite electric engines are the boxy pre-GG1 types of the Pennsy.

Hegge's article in the November '57 MR on bashing diesel B units into free-lance electrics. I find that old MDC boxcab diesel shells and certain cabooses (sans cupolas) are better starting points. The more rivets there are, the better, through I'm obviously not counting. The drive can be diesel trucks or even small steam switch engines complete with side rods. Among my future projects is a modified O1 type for which I plan to build a more realistic chassis. You may be familiar with it, but, if not, may I recommend the old Kalmbach book "When the Steam Railroads Electrified" as an excellent source of prototype material. Thank you.
Jerry
tj:
There's a lot here so I'm going to put it inline.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

tj:
Wow. I just love terminal operations, especially with passengers. There's so much more to passenger trains than just shuttling around and interfering with the way freights.
So the switcher uses the TT to disassemble the train, then moves the cars from an inbound track to an outbound (I am assuming that your OB tracks don't access the TT). That's an ingenious and no doubt space-saving solution you've come up with there. The best part is how handily it seems to solve the tail-car turning issue... once you get to it, it's the only thing left on the IB track, so you just run around the switcher and bump it onto the table. Heck, your model tail car doesn't even need a functional rear coupler!
Is it prototypical? I don't know. There were a lot of ingenious turntable tricks in the early days and on foreign roads. It solves a problem for the model railroad, so it's at least functionally prototypical if not historically so. I don't suppose you have any photos of this terminal available? I'd like to see it.

I do like old heavyweight MUs, but they are only really lovely in a battleship sense. How about something classy like a Silverliner? Your turning problem might well be moot, too, if you use MUs... just make sure you've got a cab on both ends. No escaping necessary!

Fantastic. That sounds like a monster of a traffic generator (or sink). This sounds like a really great railroad you've got here.
and also wrote:

Bob H. is indeed one of the greats. I just picked up a pile of back- issue mags at the train show, and two had Hegge articles...one on his Crooked Mountain Lines, the other on building one of his earlier heavy electrics...his B-B-B-B boxcab. Hegge seemed like he got into bigger and bigger locos as time went on...didn't he build a W1-like unit out of a pair of F7 shells, eventually? It was a quite prototypical sort of slippery slope, when you think of it.
How'd you make your O1-type? Was it from the weird and quite basic kit that I saw once in MR (I forget who offered it).
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.
First an apology to Mark Mathu for continuing an OT subject. My only justification is that it is hobby related.
On Mar 9, 12:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Actually you do. The observation car must be detached from the train and rotated first if you want it be the last car on the out-bound track. Also, by working from the rear the switcher need not take up space on the TT bidge. Your assumption that the OB tracks aren't accessed to the TT is correct. Of course any IB track can, in a pinch, also function as OB.

Like you, I've no clue as to whether it is prototypical. When I first came up with it I trying to eliminate the cross-overs usually found in model stub terminals. I felt they took up too much valuable track space. The ability to rotate cars was a serendipitous extra. Years later I was reading an old Model Craftsman (before it became RMC). There in a Louis Hertz column was a cut from an old Marklin catalog showing a passenger station with TT. Ideas, good or bad, are always being rediscovered.

A very good idea! I've no knowledge about the Silverliner. Would it fit my era?

Thank you. In truth the railroad sounds better than it looks and looks better than it runs. I now believe any model railroad should be judged not in terms of design, appearrance, operation, etc., but, rather in terms of the pleasure it affords its builder. Whew, there's a bit of gratuitous personal philosophy.

Yes he did. Yes he was!!

I'm sorry if I was unclear. The O1 is a future project. Presently it's number four on my list.
The O1 was offered in HO and O (both two and three rail) by International. IIRC it was imported between 1949 and the mid '50s. Originally all were RTR. The "kit", only a few parts needed to be attached, apparently came about when it was discovered that duties on "models" were lower than those on "toys".

Thank you again.
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

tj: Yup, this thread got somewhat derailed. Isn't thread derailment almost on-topic for a train group?

See, I understood your track arrangement and then got it mixed up when I was mentally operating it...right, if you're making up the train on a stub track you of course need the obs first. Now, if your OB tracks also accessed the table, I'd have been right. :)

Yup, I'm sure lots of cave men were rolling logs around before Grog decided to publish his idea in the /Journal of Cave Inventions/.

The Silverliner was a modern, lightweight MU car used by the PRR and later SEPTA around Philadelphia. I'm not sure if any other cities saw them. Picture:
http://www.bcoolidge.com/ANG%20Pix/ANG-PRR-Silverliner-MUs-a_11_28_64Edited.jpg
More: http://members.aol.com/ballboy31/septa.html Google is your friend for even more.

Of course.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.

My thought was to model the B&M Hoosac tunnel area in the 1940's. The tunnel was electrified, because it was so long that smoke and flue gases made it dangerous-to-impossible for the crews and passengers behind a steamer. The electrification lasted until dieselization in the '50s. Hoosac is out in the Bershire Mts of western MA, a rural area with smallish towns, lots of classic red brick Victorian buildings, still in use today. I'd have to make another photo trip out there to find the trackage and facilities where steam was switched for electric, and vice versa. This project may be beyond my space and time limitations, but I keep thinking about it.
David Starr
Rick Jones wrote:

RJ:
I'm not really up on 1930s railroad regulations, but I *think* the 50- year rule was in effect at the time, so an 1895 car in 1935 wouldn't be unheard of, though it would probably be a rare sight for railfans to chase down when they weren't taking 3/4 rods-down views of steam locomotives.
What happened to CV kits? It seems a lot of the Silver Streak line went to Ye Olde Huff n Puff: http://www.yeoldehuffnpuff.com/sstreakkits.htm
Red Ball used to be a big one, too. They have a web site, but I went over it backwards and forwards and I'm still not sure what they are up to. That has to be some sort of triumph of webfuscation.
(Kidding, sort of. What they seem to be doing is reissuing the old wood-and-metal kits as styrene-and-brass kits, at prices that seem to me to be extraordinarily high:
http://www.mrrwarehouse.com/MRW-Made/Red_Ball_1.htm
Like I said, not the prettiest web page on Earth)
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Central Valley was sold to a new owner. The kits got discontinued at some point after that (don't know the whole story). The new owner made some changes to the wonderful line of CV trucks that made them nearly unusable. By the time those faults were corrected nobody wanted to touch the CV trucks any more and that line got dropped too. He went on to do the bridge kits and other things, up to the current line of turnout kits. About 6 years ago I actually tracked down their facility in Oceano, CA and asked if he'd be willing to sell the molds for the truck lines and the kits. No way, of course. He said if he did sell the truck molds that Kadee had first dibs on them. I got the impression the jigs, silk screens, molds and such for the rolling stock kits were history (not sure about that).

Somebody is doing something similar with some of the old Ulrich models.
http://www.ulrichmodels.com /
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

I know I've contributed to an OT extension of this thread. I've apologized elsewhere. However, I am also very interestes in the outcome of this poll. We may always discuss whether the offered choices could be extended or improved upon, but, the raw data itself (if there is enough of it) could help us (me?) understand one direction in which the hobby is heading. Please, therfore, take this as an urging to vote (once).
Having gone this far, permit me to confess that I'm already surprised by two apparent trends: 1. The relatively small percentge modeling 1918-41 (my own era). 2. The correspondingly high percentage of those "mixing them all". (I think "all" may be the operative word.)
Thank you.
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: [...]

MR has done era surveys from time to time. The general result has been that the most popular era is roughly the childhood and teen years of the 40-50 year old modellers. Which would be the 60s and 70s now. I don't know if that's in fact the case. Pre-1950s rolling stock production would support that guess, though. Rolling stock for that era is produced mostly in limited run resin and craft kits, not in detailed plastic. The lack of demand for that era may be part of the reason Athearn was cutting back on its kits even before it was sold to Horizon Hobbies.
Me, I prefer the 50s. But i also have a soft spot for 2nd generation diesel power. And I like SD-70s C044s, and such like monster power, too. So I mix eras quite a bit, just as trainjer has noticed.
--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

It wil run through the end of April. But keep in mind that's it's just a poll, not a true survey -- there's no attempt to correct the responses recieved to reflect the opinions of all model railroaders. It just gives the results of those who vote in the poll.
The current poll results are here: http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&i (&a=vote (50 responses)

The final results are here: http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&i (&a=vote
Q: What era do you model?
Early Steam (-1918) - 10 votes (5%) Standard Steam (1918 - 1941) - 12 votes (6%) Steam / Diesel (1941- 1955) - 32 votes (16%) Early Diesel (1955 - 1975) - 22 votes (11%) Modern Diesel (1975 - present) - 93 votes (49%) I mix them all! - 18 votes (9%) I don't model - 2 votes (1%) 189 Total votes
FYI I voted 14 times so the results are scewed from reality.

What, no category for modeling the future?

I thought of the Lionel Phantom train when I saw the poll. The train looks like something designed to shuttle people around a moon colony.
Come to think of it, it's probably the very model the SciFi channel production team would use for a movie. Though a Lionel train is a little pricey for a SciFi Productions prop budget...

With the way the eras are broken down into all sorts of widely differing time spans, the results have to be considered virtually meaningless! You might want to try the whole thing over.
CNJ999
On 19 May 2007 17:54:00 -0700, CNJ999 posted in article

Mark, to make it meaningful for John, perhaps you should have included the all-important 'Traditional Moron' category for John to register his vote.
--
OvC

The poll is off anyway. He is right, it makes no sense and is a waste of our time.