Poll - Modeling Era

Actually you do. The observation car must be detached from the train and rotated first if you want it be the last car on the out-bound track. Also, by working from the rear the switcher need not take up space on the TT bidge. Your assumption that the OB tracks aren't accessed to the TT is correct. Of course any IB track can, in a pinch, also function as OB.

Like you, I've no clue as to whether it is prototypical. When I first came up with it I trying to eliminate the cross-overs usually found in model stub terminals. I felt they took up too much valuable track space. The ability to rotate cars was a serendipitous extra. Years later I was reading an old Model Craftsman (before it became RMC). There in a Louis Hertz column was a cut from an old Marklin catalog showing a passenger station with TT. Ideas, good or bad, are always being rediscovered.

A very good idea! I've no knowledge about the Silverliner. Would it fit my era?

Thank you. In truth the railroad sounds better than it looks and looks better than it runs. I now believe any model railroad should be judged not in terms of design, appearrance, operation, etc., but, rather in terms of the pleasure it affords its builder. Whew, there's a bit of gratuitous personal philosophy.

Yes he did. Yes he was!!

I'm sorry if I was unclear. The O1 is a future project. Presently it's number four on my list.

The O1 was offered in HO and O (both two and three rail) by International. IIRC it was imported between 1949 and the mid '50s. Originally all were RTR. The "kit", only a few parts needed to be attached, apparently came about when it was discovered that duties on "models" were lower than those on "toys".

Thank you again.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

I don't think I went "off the deep end", inasmuch as I was so disinterested that I didn't even visit your poll website. I was only addressing the complaining posts about the defined "eras". I don't think I was even particularly critical, except to suggest that the eras could be better defined.

My apologies. We are to assume that the GB&W is at the center of every model railroader's consciousness. OK.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson

tj: Yup, this thread got somewhat derailed. Isn't thread derailment almost on-topic for a train group?

See, I understood your track arrangement and then got it mixed up when I was mentally operating it...right, if you're making up the train on a stub track you of course need the obs first. Now, if your OB tracks also accessed the table, I'd have been right. :)

Yup, I'm sure lots of cave men were rolling logs around before Grog decided to publish his idea in the /Journal of Cave Inventions/.

The Silverliner was a modern, lightweight MU car used by the PRR and later SEPTA around Philadelphia. I'm not sure if any other cities saw them. Picture:

is your friend for even more.

Of course.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

A pathetic troll hiding behind the obvious nym " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" spake thus:

For anyone who might have thought that was me posting, notice 2 things about that sig up above:

  1. It's not my current sig (see below); the troll is at least 1 version behind.
  2. Look at the terrible formatting; the pathetic loser couldn't even get THAT right.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You are the troll "David" you change your sig each day (always some inane nonsense about Wikipedia) and then you say 'see, it is a different sig so it is no me trolling'.

We know you are ru>>

Reply to
markmathus

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake thus:

All I can say, peeples, is check the headers, check the headers ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Reply to
prioritycharge

RJ:

I'm not really up on 1930s railroad regulations, but I *think* the 50- year rule was in effect at the time, so an 1895 car in 1935 wouldn't be unheard of, though it would probably be a rare sight for railfans to chase down when they weren't taking 3/4 rods-down views of steam locomotives.

What happened to CV kits? It seems a lot of the Silver Streak line went to Ye Olde Huff n Puff:

Red Ball used to be a big one, too. They have a web site, but I went over it backwards and forwards and I'm still not sure what they are up to. That has to be some sort of triumph of webfuscation.

(Kidding, sort of. What they seem to be doing is reissuing the old wood-and-metal kits as styrene-and-brass kits, at prices that seem to me to be extraordinarily high:

Like I said, not the prettiest web page on Earth)

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

at

I know I've contributed to an OT extension of this thread. I've apologized elsewhere. However, I am also very interestes in the outcome of this poll. We may always discuss whether the offered choices could be extended or improved upon, but, the raw data itself (if there is enough of it) could help us (me?) understand one direction in which the hobby is heading. Please, therfore, take this as an urging to vote (once).

Having gone this far, permit me to confess that I'm already surprised by two apparent trends: 1. The relatively small percentge modeling 1918-41 (my own era). 2. The correspondingly high percentage of those "mixing them all". (I think "all" may be the operative word.)

Thank you.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

Central Valley was sold to a new owner. The kits got discontinued at some point after that (don't know the whole story). The new owner made some changes to the wonderful line of CV trucks that made them nearly unusable. By the time those faults were corrected nobody wanted to touch the CV trucks any more and that line got dropped too. He went on to do the bridge kits and other things, up to the current line of turnout kits. About 6 years ago I actually tracked down their facility in Oceano, CA and asked if he'd be willing to sell the molds for the truck lines and the kits. No way, of course. He said if he did sell the truck molds that Kadee had first dibs on them. I got the impression the jigs, silk screens, molds and such for the rolling stock kits were history (not sure about that).

Somebody is doing something similar with some of the old Ulrich models.

Rick Jones

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: [...]

MR has done era surveys from time to time. The general result has been that the most popular era is roughly the childhood and teen years of the

40-50 year old modellers. Which would be the 60s and 70s now. I don't know if that's in fact the case. Pre-1950s rolling stock production would support that guess, though. Rolling stock for that era is produced mostly in limited run resin and craft kits, not in detailed plastic. The lack of demand for that era may be part of the reason Athearn was cutting back on its kits even before it was sold to Horizon Hobbies.

Me, I prefer the 50s. But i also have a soft spot for 2nd generation diesel power. And I like SD-70s C044s, and such like monster power, too. So I mix eras quite a bit, just as trainjer has noticed.

Reply to
Wolf

Reply to
trainjer

It wil run through the end of April. But keep in mind that's it's just a poll, not a true survey -- there's no attempt to correct the responses recieved to reflect the opinions of all model railroaders. It just gives the results of those who vote in the poll.

The current poll results are here:

Mark Mathu

The final results are here:

Q: What era do you model?

Early Steam (-1918) - 10 votes (5%) Standard Steam (1918 - 1941) - 12 votes (6%) Steam / Diesel (1941- 1955) - 32 votes (16%) Early Diesel (1955 - 1975) - 22 votes (11%) Modern Diesel (1975 - present) - 93 votes (49%) I mix them all! - 18 votes (9%) I don't model - 2 votes (1%)

189 Total votes
Reply to
Mark Mathu

Reply to
curtmchere

What, no category for modeling the future?

Reply to
brad

With the way the eras are broken down into all sorts of widely differing time spans, the results have to be considered virtually meaningless! You might want to try the whole thing over.

CNJ999

Reply to
CNJ999

Mark, to make it meaningful for John, perhaps you should have included the all-important 'Traditional Moron' category for John to register his vote.

Reply to
OvC

The poll is off anyway. He is right, it makes no sense and is a waste of our time.

Reply to
curtmchere

I thought of the Lionel Phantom train when I saw the poll. The train looks like something designed to shuttle people around a moon colony.

Come to think of it, it's probably the very model the SciFi channel production team would use for a movie. Though a Lionel train is a little pricey for a SciFi Productions prop budget...

Reply to
Spender