Re: Toronto Convention - Update from the organisers.

Specifics little kiwi, I don't know you little ole history as well as you. I don't remember the US ever invading nz. Or the Asians French or anyone, What years? What was the reason. Please, use something other than economic. I am beginning to think the tourists are invading armies.

Reply to
EppersonJohnR

You're a bit stuck on "armies" when thinking of invasions - there hasn't been any invasion in that sense. The first invasion of NZ Maori territory came from US whalers around 1800. They tended to take (often by force) land suited to whaling stations - this often tended to be where Maori had already made their homes. The second and third invasions were French and British pioneers in the

1820s-1840s. (still no armies involved) The intervening invasion was economic - largely British. The present "invasion" is a mixture of economic and immigration - the region I live in now has well over 50% new immigrants, US and German perhaps 20% each with 10% from Britain. The biggest rush has occurred since the US started it's war mongering in the ME. Christchurch, which I left 6 months ago has over 10% new Asia immigrants. You might not think 10% to be many, but they have arrived in the last 5 years. I'm not counting long standing Asian population, just those who don't speak the language. Economically, over the last ten years, over fifty % of our businesses have been bought up by foreign firms - that's most of the big ones. It starts to have an impact because previously those firms generally supplied the goods we need, whereas now they more tend to supply the sorts of products of their home nations.
Reply to
Gregory Procter

HA

Reply to
EppersonJohnR

Yeah, well in the southern US you would think you were in Mexico. The damn wet back keep pouring in and now every place has two languages, English and Spanish You are not the only one with imigrants. We have sent most of our manufacturing overseas so we are a lot like you now. Yep I am sure you will say this is all USA problem an fault. However, it seems to me you are as hung up on economics as I am armies. Lifes a bitch fella

Reply to
EppersonJohnR

Yeah, but you get decent quality immigrants.

Actually, I blame a lot of it on our government.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Can somebody explain that to me? Huh?!!!

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

Regulations governing industries (particularly utilities) were NOT created out of a vacuum, much as some would like us to believe.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

Why? OK, partially settled by US slaves set free, but there were people already there. Only 10-20% of the population speaks English from what I remember, and if it's like most English in those parts, it won't be the English you know in Boston. This isn't a nascent America over there. It's tribal.

Dont' go.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

Wish you would've jumped in with this advice about six months ago. It applies to Iraq (except for the part about freed slaves which if anything argues for intervention in Liberia before Iraq), too, except that Iraq has required many times more troops, will be much harder to extricate ourselves from, caused us to incur many times more casualties, cost much more money, and made an all-around much bigger mess.

JP

Reply to
JP

Why? Hell, we still don't know why you lot started the present war in Iraq! (Assuming "OIL" is disallowed as the excuse)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I was against starting the war back in November/December, but once it started, like most everyone else, I wanted it over and done with and won. I said "winning the war will be easy. Winning the peace will be much harder." and "I saw nothing good coming out of this."

Yep, the US gov't took tribalism into consideration for this, but only so far as ousting Saddam's family from power from what I could see. What tribal/clan problems will the next choices for power provide for Iraq? Dunno, but I hope they're native choices and not ours. Get there, get 'em elected, and get out.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

Hopefully this "thousand year reich" won't last even 12 years! I grew up with news of Vietnam and don't want my kids to have to do the same with Iraq.

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

I'm not sure oil is disallowed, however the common refrain of "War for Oil" is at best misleading.

L:ike it or not, the economy of the Western Hemisphere is powered by oil. Lack of stability in oil-producing regions, like the butterfly flapping it's wings in China, can have far-reaching effects; thus stability is a high priority. Instability in Africa has much less of an effect on the economy of the Western Hemisphere. And after all, "It's the economy, Stupid" - we've heard that since 1992.

Now, extrapolating war to ensure oil availability and economic stability to war for the purposes of enriching certain individuals over other individuals is a bit harder to prove, and reqires more evidence than I've seen.

Note that economies that depend entirely on the life cycle of sheep are exempt from these discussions...

Reply to
crosstie

Boy you need to come see for yourself. Most of them do menial jobs for low pay and send it home to Mexico

Reply to
EppersonJohnR

=>>Yeah, but you get decent quality immigrants. =>

=>Boy you need to come see for yourself. Most of them do menial jobs for low pay =>and send it home to Mexico

They do the menial jobs because you self-styled "real Americans" are to proud to do them.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

There are three major tribal groups. Previously the smallest of those three groups subjugated the other two. The two previously subjugated groups spread over a number of nations. Your chances of imposing democracy on that lot are somewhat less than pushing shit uphill with a hot fork. If you don't keep the whole lot clamped down it's all going to blow - If it blows then the surrounding nations are going to blow - If the surrounding nations blow then the ME blows - ...

It was nice knowing you fellows before the collapse of the US.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Vietnam only consisted of North and South with a little help from outside. Iraq consists of the Kurds, spread across E.Turkey, N.Iraq and NW Iran etc. The Shiites spread across S.Iraq and S.Iran. etc etc. Plus oil. Running away and hiding your heads in the sand won't work this time.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

It seems right on the mark to me!

Exactly.

Yeah, that is a pretty stupid philosophy - reducing dependence on oil would make more sense, but then you elected an oil man to guide your nation - is that stupid or what?

You all obviously stopped listening after three words!

True, but it's the only reason that even begins to stand up.

that's about 10% of our income. :-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

What do you yanks actually do besides import oil and boss immigrants around?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Because most "real Americans" don't want to work all week for a paycheck that still qualifies you for welfare because employers don't want to pay enough for you to support your family. It ain't 1950 around here any more.