Re: Toronto Convention - Update from the organisers.

The pot calling the kettle black?
EppersonJohnR wrote:

The US taxes goods that never reach the US?

I am a NZ model manufacturer.

I can order models from China just as easily as US companies can.

Wait a minute Procter, you are a model manufacturer and you voice such one-sided, arrogant, insulting, nonsensical, OPINIONS on a public newsgroup? Are you an idiot? You might be a manufacturer but you are no businessman.
Don't come back with anything stupid like "being a jagoff hasn't hurt my business." or "I have plenty of customers and they don't mind that I am such a jerk" because no one here will believe you.
Sal
Salinas McGee wrote:

One needs strong opinions to risk investing hard earned cash into the modelling business.

You're absolutely right - I've put more hours and money into the business than I'll ever recover!

No, I certainly won't - I wouldn't believe those comments myself!
Regards, Greg.P.

and you are calling me stupid?
EppersonJohnR wrote:

Had you considered that there might be reasons other than just profit for the exercise - yes, I'm still calling you stupid!
Regards, Greg.P.
EppersonJohnR wrote:

You go figure it, you idiot - there's a difference between my individual income and New Zealand's income, largely the other 4 million peoples'. My pleasure in life doesn't come from my net income, it comes (partially) from what I do with my net income.
Regards, Greg.P.

Correct my impressions if they're wrong, but aren't there a lot of "backyard" manufaturers out there, people who made something for themselves, maybe a few for friends, and it kind of got out of hand a bit? Yeah, they're small potatoes next to Athearn et al, but I think there are a bunch out there.
Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.
JCunington wrote:

New Zealand Railway modelling is almost entirely "back-yard" or "Cottage industry". We're dealing with a few thousand serious modellers, never quite enough to justify getting a Chinese firm to produce a loco model and local wages are such that hand-made models are only for those on fatter incomes. I make hand controllers ( the price of imported ditto including freight makes this marginal) card building kits (good individual return but not the volume to justify development) Wheel gauges which return pocket money. Wires soldered to fishplates are an amazing success but soooo boring to make. Wheelsets and couplers need an investment in advertizing. I have made a few kit masters but these really need to be my project from design to box. After my present (non-railway) project, I will begin a range of European loco kits - just a matter of time and money. :-)
Regards, Greg.P.

My point being that a lot of people started out making something for an immediate need with no original intention of "going into business". I didn't make that clear in my original response.
Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.
EppersonJohnR wrote:

Certainly - most of us are not impressed by the US's nasty trade games.

They're going very well. We're flooded with US, Japanese and European holiday makers who come here in preference to places nearer your wars.

You really don't have a clue and are obviously too stupid to get one.
Regards, Greg.P.

Now now little kiwi, you are letting me get to you.

Don't trade with us little kiwi. That should solve your problems.

India-Pakistan Colombian civil war Chile-Argentina Peruvian civil war Anywhere in Africa China-Taiwan China-Vietnam Koreas Israel-name a Middle Eastern country
and the ones that are a sure bet to unleash nuclear holocaust: Monaco-San Marino Liechenstein-Andorra
Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.
JCunington wrote:

Take a look at the US's involvement! Pakistan, where you've pushed the government into backing you against Afghanistan.
etc.etc.etc. Any you haven't been involved in?
Regards, Greg.P.

Hmmm, lessee.
The Tutsi-Hutu thing in Rwanda a few years back. We let the Africans sort it all out as I recall. Something about racism... Sudan - Christians vs. Muslims Eritrea-Ethiopia Zaire (civil war) I don't think we got involved in the Burma-Myanmar thing. That was an internal coup. Chechnya (a lot of posturing, no help to rebels) Tahiti East Timor (lots of talk again)
Basically Africa has been pretty much hands-off because of a fear of charges of racism. At least that's my perception.
Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

I have to agree with this one. And we still don't have OBL which was the reason of the attack. It will be another Viet Nam just like Iraq. IT IS TIME TO BRING HOME THE TROOPS and set back and watch the world fight it out
EppersonJohnR wrote:

You've altered the balance of power by removing the stable factions (Taliban and Hussein) - that will make you responsible (well, irresponsible) for the outcome.
Regards, Greg.P.

If we pull out and come home all will be OK. Tha Taliban will rise again in Afaganistan and Hussein can return to power in Iraq. It will all stablilize in a few months or years. I agree, we need to stay at home and the only way to get home is to come home. We have to pull back sometime. NOW IS THE TIME.

trolling

Site Timeline