Stupid question # 3,987,301

Proto 2000 E units

Will a "B" unit shell fit on the frame of a powered "A" unit ? Will a "A" unit shell fit on the frme of a non powered "B" unit ?

E8 to E8 E6 to E6 E8 to E6 E6 to E8

Trying to figure out before buy some undected units on Ebay before hopeing I can mix and match.

I know I used to do it with Athearn F units.

Anyone ?

All smartassed remarks SHOULD be at least more clever than a 10 year old mental status. Thank you.

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

I have a friend that has a set of A-B-B-A, MTH Premier F3's, He ordered the same parts for the A's from MTH to make them a A-A-A-A. It's a good question about just switching shells, but if they are the same model and the only difference is that one is A and the other B, I don't know of anything keeping them from mounting to the chassis differently.

Reply to
slowcmfrtablscrw

Reply to
Jon Miller

Depends on the brand. Some makers use the same frame/etc for A and B units, by narrowing the frame at one end to fit the A unit. So you'll have to take a look.

E6 had a 42'8" and E8 48'0" truck center spacing, so you can't switch frames between them without fudging (assuming the model mfr has the correct truck spacing.)

HTH

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Frames. Some As and Bs differed in truck spacing and/or overall length, so a simple switch isn't possible. Others used the same frame, but some model manufacturers made different frames for As and Bs. The only way to know for sure is to try it...

Reply to
Wolf K