ebay fun and games

Kim flagged up this interesting little ebay item to me:-

and I agreed that it was a nice thing and should fetch a pretty penny. It was going along nicely until "The seller ended this listing early because the item was lost or broken" what a shame, I wonder what tragedy befell it ;-) I note also that the bid history disappeared does that usually happen with deleted items?

Reply to
Nick H

Nick,

Not knowing much about Hot Air engines I got the impression that it was a very modern replica and wasn't all it seemed. don't you think the enamal work is to fresh for a start. The seller may have been warned off !

Mart> Kim flagged up this interesting little ebay item to me:-

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Well, I certainly don't go for the tale of it supplying water for a large Victorian house, an engine of this size would be hard pressed to shift enough to provide one person with a morning wash and brush up. But the engine itself looks right enough to me, probably one of the smaller Heinrici models and likely to fetch a fair bit on its own. Did it start life on that wood burner? Probably not but it makes a nice display. The somewhat garish paint job is acknowledged as non original.

One would hope that bidders ready to part with something approaching £1K would know what they were looking at.

Reply to
Nick H

On Ebay I doubt it based on Lister D prices etc

Martin P

Nick H wrote:

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Having said that the listing says it supplied a cistern so presumably could have been running almost constantly.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote

Even to keep a cistern filled you'd be looking at a 6" bore Rider-Ericcson or similar, these tiddlers were restricted to driving something like a 'zimmer fontaine', ie what might now be called an indoor water feature.

Reply to
Nick H