O/T Saw horses

Hi Looking for plans to build a couple of saw horses These will be ideal to lay my trolleys on whilst welding but cannot find any plans for one TIA Col.

-- East Coast Nature Guides Lowestoft Suffolk. enquires to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

I've never seen any either but you could try uk.d-i-y

John

Reply to
John

LOL, googling, plans saw horses, gave me 3,540,000 hits! :-)

For freebie plans try:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'll post a picture of mine if you like. But honestly they are just a few lumps of wood banged together, with a couple of really basic joints to aid strength, best made from whatever lumps and offcuts you have to hand.

Reply to
Julian

I recall you can get sets of angled blocks in solid black plastic from B&Q etc. To these you simply add sturdy legs cut to the pattern provided & bob is your mother's brother ;o))

regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Here's a nice new design. Tripod stackers.

're not the most rigid I've ever used, but still worth considering.

I'm a bit fussy about trestles -- Timber framers do tend to use them by the dozen! My experience is:

There's no reason why they have to be the same size, but there's a lot of good reason to make them stackable. An easy way to do this is to make them in sets of 3 or 4 and to make each one slightly longer (by two and a bit leg widths) than the next smaller one.

It's a common workshop "error" to run a circular saw through the top of a horse. So make the tops extra thick and make sure there's never any metal in the top anywhere near the depth of your deepest sawblade. You now have trestles that you can _deliberately_ cut into, without risk or hazard. It's a great timesaver for framing work and the wear on the trestles is less than you'd expect.

You can't have them too rigid, but you certainly can have them too heavy. Thin sheathing ply skinning between the legs is the best way to achieve rigidity at low weight. Easy for non-carpenters to make too.

Polyurethane glue is useless.

Bolts and screws are quick to assemble, but you just can't keep them rigid in softwood.

Commercial trestle-making clamps are either flimsy (plastic) or quite expensive (steel). The steel ones are quick, rigid and fold for storage though.

Trestles to stand on are much lighter duty than trestles for carpentry. You might well be prepared to stand on it, but that's no guarantee it'll last a week in the workshop.

The record for killing a new trestle design is under half a day's framing work. Lengths of foot-square oak are quite a trial!

A tripod trestle stands better on a rough floor.

They don't all have to be the same height, they just have to be either the same height (within your floor's flatness) or they have to be obviously and visibly different, from across the yard.

Reply to
Andy Dingley