OT: assistance needed

Gentlemen,
I use AVG Free as my anti virus, this morning it wont allow me to load updates because A .Bin file is missing, anybody got any ideas what a .Bin
file is!
Martin P
--
snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com

Semper in Excrementem Altitudo Solus Varius
Hi Martin, I have exactly the same problem. It must be something they have done wrong! I wonder how we can ask them?
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

information at http://freeforum.avg.com/list.php?12 The third entry down & a couple of other mentions lower down..
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

They seem to have fixed it!! If you go to the AVG site and upgrade the fault will be cleared.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington
fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I did a restart last night - that cleared it, too!
Brian L Dominic
Web Site: http://www.brianscanalpages.co.uk
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:35:37 +0100, campingstoveman wrote:

I dumped AVG free after a short play with v8. You do know that when you do a search it wanders of to the internet and downloads *all* the returned search results to make sure they are "safe" just in case you click on one. This action added about 500MB to my downloads in the month it was active. You can turn it off but you have to jump through hoops to do it if you don't want nagging "you are not fully protected" messages. I also found that AVG was really slowing down the loading of files into applications.
I now use Avast! also free for home use, does the business(*) and if you have multiple machines you can get it to email you when it finds a nasty. I don't think AVG can do that. Avast! doesn't appreciably slow down the loading of files either. The one thing I haven't found is scheduler to set up a regular complete system scan, but as pretty much everything passing through or on the machine is checked that probably isn't required once you've done an initial complete scan.
(*) Picked up the Funweb Products adware/malware that AVG hadn't.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Gentlemen,
Like Dave I found a fix via a Yahoo forum and now running ok again. Thanks for thoughts.
Martin P

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:51:52 +0100, campingstoveman wrote:

Fix for what? The broken auto update or for this stupid internet bandwidth and server resource wasting "feature" of AVG on search results pages?
This "i'll check every link on a serach results page just in case" really isn't very net friendly. Popular sites that are high up on results pages get clobbered by millions of AVG users checking for nasties "just in case". By all means down load and check a page when the user asks to look at it but not before. I guess AVG has got so slow now that users wouldn't accept the delay that would be caused.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Not wishing to start a major discussion on the subject, AVG Free does exactly what I want it to do for nothing and certainly does not slow up my computer and as to the "fix" its a generic term to describe that I had sorted the problem.
Martin P

I've used AVG free on every computer I've had except the latest one which had Norton 360 "bundled" in the package from P*- *orld. When it's subscription runs out in November I will go back to AVG. I have never had a problem with it. Unlike Norton, which urges me to download the latest version free, which I have done 3 times now and every time it tells me that the files are corrupt. Roll on November!!!

You might be advised to use the time until November researching how to get rid of Norton! It is the most invidious piece of software I have ever come across. It seems to put hooks all over and as fast as you remove one another comes to light.

You'll have to download the Norton removal tool from
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton2008.nsf/docid/2007082908475279?Open&docid 03022510471206
because add and remove programs won't get it all
Tom
download the Norton removal tool from

Even that tool doesn't get rid of everything, you have to delete both Symantec and Norton folders in "Program Files", and there are also items in the Registry that need removal.
AVG paid-for is OK, but a pain in the bum to use.
Peter
Dave Liquorice wrote (snip):

Noted this with interest, I hadn't realised that's what it was doing - not only is it a ridiculous waste of bandwidth, but even the most innocent of google searches can throw up sites which you wouldn't want to click on but will now presumably be logged as having visited.
I have used AVG on several machines for some years after getting fed up with Norton's increasingly bloated offerings and I am loth to change, so I was pleased to see what appears to be a simple way of disabling this unwelcome 'feature'
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic "26.0
Haven't tried it myself yet but it sounds promising.
Nick H
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:31:57 +0100, Nick H wrote:

The latter could be interesting if some one looked through you cache. AIUI it only loads the base page it doesn't follow any links or graphics etc but all the same.

There are several ways of disabling it, the obvious one in AVG produces a nag screen and unhappy icon in the system tray. You can turn off the helper in your browser but why should you have to mess with a different programs settings to correct a failing in another? You can uninstall/reinstall or apply a magic incantation from the command line without uninstalling I think. What ever far to many hoops for an ordinary punter to have to jump through.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote (snip):-

Perhaps I am being excessively paranoid, but I was thinking more of one's IP address appearing on server logs - I don't particularly relish the thought of special branch arriving at the front door enquiring as to why I visited a site (probably set up by themselves) concerning the explosive properties of chapati flour and H2O2 when all I was doing was googling Indian cookery!
Of course the government's web crawlers will now pick up on that comment so I'm probably due a visit anyway.
Nick H

I have been annoyed by this "feature" too. I followed the instructions (took 10 seconds) and it's sorted now, so thanks for posting
short for binary? sam

http://internalfire.com/modules.php?set_albumName mpingstoveman&op=modload&name=PubGallery&file=index&include=view_album.php