OT - credit card scam

Hi all,

This is from a reliable source in an East Anglian Police Force. Please take note.

The information below may be really important, you may wish to circulate among your colleagues and friends. This is worth knowing.

This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is

12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card that was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £249.99 from a Marketing company based in (name of any town or city)?" When you say "No" the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £150 to £249, just under the £250 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to(gives you your address), is that correct?" You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number ."Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers". There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back; if you do....", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of #249.99 was charged to our card. Long story made short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them.

Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost to late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening.

Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By informing each other, we protect each other."

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Quite. I play the you tell me what you think the numbers are and I'll give a yes/no response. That way they can verify the data but I don't give any away unless they get lucky, a 1 in 1000 chance

It's not a PIN but an additional security number that isn't embossed so won't be on the any (old) mechanical machine slips. As a system of helping to ensure that a card used over the internet is actually in possesion of the person placing the order it's not bad. Don't know if it's stored on the mag stripe, I should hope not so card cloners can't get it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I see the East Anglian police force are on the ball. This scam has been around since November 2003. It is strange to see their wording of the problem is a pretty good copy of the original report.

See

--=20 cerberus

Reply to
cerberus

Whilst I agree that it is a three year old scam, it was not one that I personally had heard of. I am a pretty well-informed bloke, being on six newsgroups and spend hours each day in front of a monitor. I watch TV, Watchdog etc, etc - and it was *still* news to me!

I like to think that I would have detected the odour of rodent in the air if it happened to me - but possibly not, we can all be taken off guard.

News is only as old as the hearer's ears!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

My wife has been getting telephone calls from abroad, supposedly from the bank.

Like me she refuses to talk to anyone whom she cannot verify. The caller refuses to give a name and will not give any details until the wife verifies who she is by quoting our address and postcode and giving her date of birth.

We simply say to these callers that unless we can call them back or they can put us through to the branch then we will not give any details.

The branch have nothing on their system noting a need for us to be contacted and I have several times written to head office complaining.

I believe that the calls do originate from the bank call centre in India and are just sales calls but in these days of identity theft it is very wrong of the bank to believe that we should give out details over the telephone that could aid identity theft.

If we all simply refuse to give any information to out of country call centres the banks etc. would have to reconsider their use

Another utility company wanted the same type of information from me which I refused to give in my usual way but I needed to speak to the company anyway. I refused to speak to anyone who I could not verify and was eventually connected to an English speaking operator base in the UK. They can do it if they want. The British operator was quite happy to log a formal complaint.

Rant off.

In message , Kim Siddorn writes

Reply to
George Hendry

Oh I'll talk to them, if they are talking to me they aren't bothering someone else. B-) Silent calls bug me, if I get silence I normally hang up but once a batch start coming in I just leave the handset off hook and carry on with what ever I was doing. Coming back every so often to see if they are still there.

I certainly don't give out any information to anybody that has cold called me.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice