OT: Glass tubes

Gentlemen,
During my working I occasionally have to change UV Lamps after every 9000 hrs, they come with a glass tube which I don't always change as its not
necessary.
These tubes are shaped like test tubes and are 900 mm long with an OD of 22 mm and wall thickness of 1 to 1.5 mm thick. I currently have 3 going spare, they are to good to bin so if anybody wants one you are welcome, collecting it be would be favourable as parcel force delivered me one to a customer and I needed a lot of glue to stick it together even though it was marked fragile and in a rigid box..
Martin P
Martin P
campingstoveman wrote:

Are they Pyrex? If so, you could make the mother of all marble engines!
NHH
How can I tell.

campingstoveman wrote:

Dunno - do they have to resist heat in their 'day job'?
NHH

max 30 Deg C and surrounded by water, used for bug destruction.
Martin P

campingstoveman wrote:

Probably not then. I cant think of a use off hand.
NHH

I have a feeling that they may be quartz, not glass, something to do with the ultra violet light that they use to sterilize the water with.
The tubes contain the light source and the water passes over it. Used in big fish tanks and other places where bulk sterilisation is needed without adding chemicals to the water.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

Glass is made from a form of quartz. Quartz is silicon dioxide, SiO2. Sand is small crystals of quartz.
--
MatSav

"MatSav" <matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com> wrote in message

a FORM of quartz. Ordinary lead glass is an effective UV filter.
John
These tubes do not filter UV they support a UV lamp and act as a barrier between the lamp and water. I did wonder if they had a use as oiler tubes etc.