OT - links to identify an old jaguar engine

My neighbour has acquired what we think could be a jaguar ss engine and gearbox. An hour of google etc. has failed to find a suitable site where its identification can be confirmed and if it is of interest to owners/restorers or if it is scrap value only. Any suggestions please? Just in case there is an expert reading this the engine # is K R (or B)

4993. Alloy finned sump. Steel block &head 4cyl OHV alloy rocker box. JAGUAR on oil filler cap. Alloy bell housing and gearbox top plate cast gearbox with "STANDARD" on nearside.

Sorry for the O T post

Peter K

Reply to
PeterK

A friend of mine rebuilds these cars at Knarr Mill in Delph, I'll ask him tomorrow, he will probably want it for spares.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

Not an expert but fwiw Jaguar used Standard manufactured 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engines in their cars up to 1948. The oil filler cap could be a red herring though and the engine could date back to 1938. My father who had experience of them, used to say they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Tom