OT Were any Bedfords really harmed in the making of this programme?

Did anyone see Foyles war (ITV) last night?

Near the beginning there was a most unconvincing crash and resultant fire involving an 'O' type dropside lorry. One would assume that anyone filming this with a 50 year old lorry would produce a mock up after the initial crash. In this case a burnt Bedford cab was clearly seen, and it appears that they actually burnt the lorry. Perhaps a 'beyond it' scrapper was substituted, but with the budgets they have with television maybe this wasn't so. What sort of collector would supply a historic vehicle to be destroyed for 2 minutes of unconvincing, crap, television? Pieces of silver spring to mind! The rest of the vehicles were also pretty unconvincing. A Bedford OY tanker was the star, complete with a dubious pump arrangement, terminating in a garage type petrol hose, used to fill a

1970's mild steel cental heating tank with petrol!! The Bedford had D day lifting rings fitted to it's wheels, and it was meant to be 1941! Also the vehicle markings had to be seen to be believed! Add this to the radio controlled Spitfire, with a clearly blanked off engine air intake, I don't think I'll bother next week!

Barleycorn.

Reply to
Barleycorn

In article , Barleycorn writes

We wondered about this too. A disgusting bit of vandalism indeed, if it did happen.

In a similar vein, does anyone remember the film '633 Squadron' when several perfectly good, airworthy DH98 Mosquitoes were deliberately wrecked just for the sake of a film?

Also, more recently (though not for a film), the Belgian state railway sold an 1890s McIntosh 0-6-0[1] for scrap for 1 euro (though they had been offered way more for it) and it was promptly cut up. Truly there are those about who give not a fig for historic transport.

[1]very similar to the steamable one in UK preservation on one of the Scottish steam railways (the Strathspey, I believe).

Regards, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Yerst. I too was disappointed, although I didn't spot the Bedord specialties, I too think they burnt out a real one. The trouble with TV drama is they have too much money, especially on ITV channels with ads to fund them, and think no further than getting the shot they want. Buying a Bedford truck would not be too hard and they are quite crafty enough to buy it through a third party so the previous owner doesn't get wind of its likely fate!

Documentary programmes have far, far smaller budgets and cannot afford to do that sort of thing, so need the goodwill of owners to get the job done at a reasonable hire rate.

I was surprised to see the cannon equipped Spitfire in 1941 and even more surprised to see the manifolds equipped with night fighter flame suppressors.

I was deeply impressed that they had contrived to bend the laws of physics sufficiently for the petrol to run uphill from the tanker into the tank, a howler of considerable merit! Dunno about the markings - wrong, I take it?

I enjoyed it though and despite its warts (or perhaps because of them o)) )shall watch it again next week

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

- and the French have cut up all their Concordes and scrapped them I understand.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn .

Reply to
J K Siddorn

In article , J K Siddorn writes

This sadly is true. I'm beginning to wonder whether some sort of 'listing' of historic artefacts, like historic buildings, might work; or at least a prohibition on their wanton destruction.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I bet the previous owner feels sick now.

AIUI old vehicles often still get very badly treated by stunt men, or by actors or others incompetent at handling them.

There would *just* have been a few about by then IIRC (fitted with the 'B' wing, with 2x20mm cannon plus 4x0.303in MG), but not many.

I didn't spot those - I was too busy trying to read the serials (all seemed to have been either painted over or kept out of shot).

Clever, that, wasn't it? No pump or anything, just levitation.

As to those, I've no idea.

ObSE - it would have been nice to see a petrol bowser[1] fitted with a

3hp or 5hp Lister (B or L?), like the example which used to be at Hatfield, and was last seen being towed away when the airfield finally closed - I wonder what became of it? [1]as long as it doesn't get wrecked...

Regards, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

In article , J K Siddorn writes

I thought that one or two had been promised to Continental museums, but I can't say I'm surprised if they've been cut up instead.

Regards, Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Big fuss in the bus preservation world recently when several RTs were cut about to make the "triple deckers" for a Harry Potter film. IIRC at least one was sold by a preservationist to someone he was led to believe intended to preserve and rally the vehicle. This sort of thing has happened more than once which strikes me as odd as old buses are not exactly at a premium.

Reply to
Niall

There are still plenty of rusted-out OX / OY Bedfords around that are fit for burning, but very little else.

But it was probably a concours winner, just because the useless tossers who source these things have plenty of money and find the most obviously advertised vehicles (often the better ones) the quickest and easiest to find. 8-(

Andy Dingley

I tried a search on Concorde museums and found this site.

seems that the French aren't ALL bad, just bad enough to enforce the end of the plane in the first place. There are other sites which I haven't looked at yet.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I found this on the BBC.

It seems all the French ones are going to museums.

Regards,

Chris Kessell

Reply to
Chris