OT - Yahoo groups

I pass this on in good faith from Another Place. It appears to do what it says on the tin.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Attention Group

Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated privacy statement at _

half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left find a box entitled "Opt-Out."

In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the opt-out button on the next page.

Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt- out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

Related article: _

Please pass this information to all of your groups...

Reply to
kimsiddorn

In message , kimsiddorn writes

Thanks for the heads-up, Kim. One thing to bear in mind might be that if the opt-out works by setting a cookie on your machine, then if you (as I do) clear down all cookies and other 'private data' (as Firefox calls it) after each Web-browsing session, the opt-out might be cancelled. I can only guess, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall