Bean-free zone

The most recent outbreak of Bean-related posting has (at one level) been mildly entertaining, but for those that prefer a quieter life, don't forget that

offers a peaceful haven where polite & constructive conversations on subjects related to Model Engineering can take place, far from the verbal flatulence that is usually associated with too many Beans.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yes, Tony, but what about all that signing in nonsense? Do we really need to have a JFK security check to talk about model engineering and related subjects? Bean there, Dung that.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

I have to agree with Mike on this, the Yahoo group may be Bean-free but it is more of a pain to go there than it is to ignore his ramblings over here. The Taylor-Hobson engravers group is the same, it's too regimented and the adverts get on my t*ts.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

If you go to the Yahoo Group, then: Edit My Membership you can set the configuration so that Email Delivery is by Individual Emails.

That way you can direct the group mail to your own email address and need never visit Yahoo to read messages or post.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

As Tom has observed, you can set it up to use Email and thereby bypass the advertising bullshit that you get on the web version of the service.

"Regimentation" so far has been entirely unnecessary; as the group's administrator, I will only take action if posts become abusive, disruptive, etc. Net result: no Bean-related flatulence, and informative/constructive/helpful conversations. Clearly, you can't prevent disruptive people from joining; however, as they can be removed/barred from membership, the damage they can do is severely curtailed.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You can avoid a lot of the pop-ups and targeted avertising in yahoo groups by going here and opting out of them traking you and so....puting up pop ups aimed at you. clicking here will opt you out of this..

To change your email settings in a groups... go to the front page and click on "edit my membership" on the top right hand side. here you will be given a choice . dailey digest individual emails special notices or no email.

after all this you should only ever get... an advert at the top of the groups page. and sometimes an advert on the page between pressing on a message. and thats the best i can do im afraid........ there are other groups hosted by smart groups and msn.......but they dont get picked up by the web search engines as easily as yahoo....ive tried its much easier to publicise a yahoo group. remenber also this is a free service that yahoo provide ........they have to pay there way somehow .......and unlike just a news group you can store files and pictures there. all the best ...doing my best in defence of my taylor hobson group......mark

Reply to
mark

I think you've just muddied the waters, Mark, if you opt for individual emails, there is no need to visit Yahoo to read or post..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom when opting out... your opting out of the pop ups and targeted advertising.......

i just added the bit about emails as extra info all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

It really quite easy.

If a wa**er post a load of w**k then put him in your kill file.

If he changes his name a week later, then repeat the above.

Then all it needs is for the regulars to resist responding and bob's your proverbial uncle. Well, I supose it is hard to resist replying, but anyway that's the theory. And please resist the tempation to be insulting back, as that risks us mistakingly killing the wrong post and then wondering why person x has gone quiet and then having to edit our kill files !

I do need to figure out how to kill cross-posts and all really would be rosy.

Basically, it's not like in a social gathering - in NGs you really can just ignore wa***rs.

Cheers

Hywel

Reply to
Hywel & Ros

"Hywel & Ros" would seem to be a target candidate for the remarks below.....

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

When you reply to a cross-post your email client should tell you that it is cross-posted and give you the choice of responding just to the group you are reading or all groups on the list.

You can still edit the list if you decide to post to all groups on the list, as the posting list comes up in the message box before you write anything.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Thanks Peter - but I'm Ok for responding (unless I'm careless). I was more after a newsreader (or Outlook setting) that would automatically delete all mails crossposted to say 3 or more groups. I'd then not even see most of the complete bollocks at least.

Cheers

Hywel

Reply to
Hywel & Ros

I don't think anything I have seen will do that, I have always had to edit the distribution list before posting.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes