Rushden Cavalcade

We had a quick trip to the show on Saturday, had a chat with Len Gillings and admired his little Stuart vertical diesel genny set that he bought ex Brian Sharp collection. Very nicely turned out as usual with Len, and the generator side had a decvent panel and load.

Nothing jumped out at us in the engine line up, and not a lot in the trader stalls either. One guy had a very good selection of tools and machine tooling but spoilt it by asking almost full retail prices for everything, so while a lot looked, most kept their wallets closed.

Admission £5 each this year, facilities, food, toilets etc were good but it is missing that ingredient that makes you want to go back another day, which we used to when it was cheaper to get in and more decent tools / odds and sods stalls were there.

No2 son and his mate tried the beer tent Saturday night, and reported a very busy and happy venue.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

In message , Peter A Forbes writes

Geoff and I were there for the day on Saturday with his '52 Morris Minor Series MM.

A beautiful little engine, indeed - an impressive presentation, and a very high build quality, from the look of it. I wonder if it was made to a special high spec for the RNLI, or if that was the standard spec for the engine?

Nothing in the main line up for me either (apart from that Stuart diesel), but I did like the big 3-cylinder Blackstone/Laurence Scott/Electromotors 75KVA gen set by the gateway into the rear fields. Change the lamps at the top of the tower for a set of antennas, and I could put it to very good use on the top of a hill somewhere :-)

I didn't see anything that caught my interest either. Some of those folk do seem to want funny money for things these days.

Very edible grass-fed beef burgers from the dark-blue stall, at any rate...

I had much the same feeling, TBH. I hope things will be better at Stoke Goldington (and Stotfold Mill) next weekend).

One thing I like about that bar is that they always have a number of good dark milds and old ales; I had a very pleasant lunchtime interlude there on Saturday.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall