Second engine?

Reply to
campingstoveman

"Chris Crocker - White" wrote (snip):- It's sight and sound which I

If it's sight and sound you are after (with maneagable size and weight) than you are going to find it hard to beat a hit and miss governed Amanco or similar. The whirling crank, the piston darting in and out, the intermittant motion of the side rod, the clank clank clank of the non-firing strokes punctuated by the suck-phut when it does hit - these are the things which first drew me to stationary engines and they still have a certain magic.

One of the most captivating displays I have ever seen was a good few years ago at the Prestwood (Bucks) rally. Two Amanco's were placed a few feet apart with their heads facing each other. As the two engines slowly drifted in and out of phase with each other they appeared to be involved in some sort of bizarre mechanical shoot-out, could have watched and listened to them for hours! (Apologies to those that heard this story the first time round).

Reply to
Nick Highfield

intermittant

I know what you mean!! I can just imagine that noise now, hence I wanted an Amanco :)

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

19 next birthday :-))
Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Peter, All I can say is that if at 58 I look like you I will be happy. Grovel, grovel, creep, creep.

Mart> >

Reply to
campingstoveman

Any more of the Siddorn type poetry and I'm going to have to fetch a bucket :-))

Mart> "Chris Crocker - White" wrote (snip):- It's sight and sound which I >> like most. :)

Reply to
campingstoveman

Think of all those engines you can buy and play with before you get to my age!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

The big Gardner that Cliff Noble and friends haul around the shows is surprisingly quiet, just a 'thump' as it fires and a half second later the whoosh of the exhaust leaving the stack. The 1ZHR Ruston is relatively quiet with a decent silencer on, and I personally much prefer an engine that is comfortable to be with, rather than some of the rattly things that turn up at shows.

The late Dennis Quincy's Hornsby was such an engine, lovely and quiet and always well presented.

Did I pass on the name of the guy I bought some changewheels off on ebay ? he is restoring a Merlin and I thought of you...

Coal smoke has to be the most evocative, but only for the generations of steam rail users who recall the trips as kids. As we used to live in the Southern Region it was always 3rd rail electric, but a school trip to Portsmouth or somewhere saw us off on the Horsham line down that way past Arundel, hauled by Winston Churchill, which I think was Battle of Britain class. I can still recall the smoothness and swiftness of the acceleration out of the station, never matched by electrics then or since.

Never really had quite that feeling, it's always been out of the blue or where I have been looking for something specific. The most extraordinary luck saw us get the Ruston & Hornsby diesel, a lovely engine and the last one I shall part with. The Spanish Diter was a bit of luck also, and I suppose most of our engines have come to us through accident rather than design...

I always fancied the X-type Lister, as much for its rarity as its design. Not likely to come across one now, but I can dream! :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi Peter, about 15 years ago when I got my Danish BLA 1.5 HP vertical it needed painting. This engine is very rare as it was only made for a short period to try to compete with the Lister D for the Danish dairy market. It looks like a cross between all the English 1.5 HP Verticals and has a Lister D type Carburetter with a Villiers flywheel magneto. At the time I was etching engine plates & I was very tempted to make a spoof plate calling it a Lister DQ (Experimental). I resisted. Picture will be at

about 15 minuites.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

I am sorry to say that very little can beat that smell of kerosene from a Derwent or Goblin, unless it's the sweet smell of smoke from a Ruston Hornsby 7Hp.

Though a Ruston Hornsby AP will also do the job !

Reply to
Barry Ruck

If he can afford them! Looking at the way prices have gone in just the last couple of years, get what you want now .

Hands up those who think their Oily Iron is going to be worth LESS next year than it was last?

Well quite.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I just got a rubbish job today so I can earn money inbetween periods of education, so maybe i'll be able to pick something up at great Dorset. :)

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White