Watermota

This rather nice K2 came up on ebay recently:-

I had a punt but didn't get it - should I have bid higher? As usual, had it been sitting in front of me at a sale, I would probably have ventured a few more quid. Interesting to note that it has plated water jackets like the 'Special K' I photographed at Sodbury last year:-

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Fell over a 4-cylinder version at Portland, had an awning rope tied to it!

Same vendor had a complete Johnson Auto-Wheel bicycle for sale, took pictures of both engines.

Peter

Reply to
Listerdiesel

I look forward to seeing both of those. AFAIK Watermota in the UK never made a four - but the products of the US Waterman company seem to be a spot the differance job, so perhaps it is one of they. Not tripping over spare 1928/29 Evinrude Fleetwin fuel tanks are you?

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

On Aug 23, 2:04 pm, "Nick H" wrote:> I look forward to seeing both of those.

Picture at:

I'll do the Autowheel picture when I get back to the UK.

Peter

Reply to
Listerdiesel

"Listerdiesel" wrote

Very nice - wouldn't that look good in a suitably period launch? Waterman section in BYB has illustration of B4 which seems to match.

I've never seen any explicit referance to a connection between the US Waterman and UK Walter D Fair (Watermota) Co's, but many of their products appear all but identical. It is interesting to note that Waterman sold out to Arrow in 1917 and Fair introduced the Watermota K series around 1920. Kind of reminds one of the way that the Johnson Utilimotor almost simultaneously became a Jacobsen in the 'States and the Villiers Mar-Vil in UK.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

(snip)

NH> I've never seen any explicit referance to a connection between the US NH> Waterman and UK Walter D Fair (Watermota) Co's, but many of their NH> products appear all but identical.

Sorry, I misread the A-Z entry for Walter D Fair - the K series wasn't introduced in 1920, but aquired magneto ignition in place of the earlier (and typically American!) battery and trembler coil at that time. Pat also mentions that Fair's engines were initially marketed under the Waterman name.

Googling about, I came across an entry on another discussion group which suggested Fair was originally an importer of Waterman products, but started to manufacture (during WWI?) in its own right at the behest of the Admiralty - presumably licensing the designs from Waterman.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh