Bachmann 2005 new release predictions

Kato's N scale "bullet trains" have a single power car in the middle with drive on both trucks. All cars have electrical pickup, but they're not connected to the motor, it's just for lighting. They run just fine (and VERY fast!) in both directions.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

I was assuming that to begin with. With a centre car added that still leaves one car powered from one end only driving two cars with no power at all. That means it will always run better in one direction than the other. Also, the 108 isn't the best design they could have chosen for hiding the mechanism in the guard's compartment. Even so I will probably buy the BR green variant with cat's whiskers as soon as it becomes available.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hmm, let me think.... The first RTR 1st generation DMU to become available in many years in BR Green with cat's whiskers and possibly with a decent drive mechanism as well? No, I can't think of any use for it either ;o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" <

Why?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Weight distribution, plus wheels always pull better than they push.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

James,

From memory, they were used to run the ex-LMS Clydeside suburban workings. I can remember them working through Dumbarton to Balloch from Central Low level, and you could see them across the Clyde en route to Greenock and Gourock.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Were you working on quality or quantity?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Do Bachmann announce their UK programme at the same time as their Liliput programme at the Nürnberg Spielwaren? (early Feb)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

You seem to be thinking of the refurbished unit. If they produce an original unit, the motor coaches also have brake compartments, so a motor bogie could be hidden in there.

Reply to
John Sullivan

I have a Hornby 110 which has one of the motor cars fitted with the chassis from a Bachmann 158, there is no discernable difference in running whichever end is leading. If the new 108 uses a similar mechanism it will be a good runner. Forget motor bogies. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Oh, poop. And there was I hoping for a great rant about the Worst Livery Ever. It'll be peace, harmony and understanding on [insert random model rail forum here] next.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

I'm sure it's likely, but have they actually said anything certain? They might as well develop a mechanism that can cope with more vehicles, I suppose.

I'm hoping they go for a 2-EPB or similar, a 4-CEP being far too big for my plank. I'd probably by a 4-EPB, but I hope someone notices all the unsold EFE underground centre cars somewhere, which must be indicative of something.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

No, I was thinking of CIG / BIG's, sorry (it was getting late....).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes, very few model rats in tubes, most find the outside of a tube rather boring (no pun intended...) !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's if they're producing more centre cars than drivers. There must be quite a few 2 (or 1)-car tube models out there. As they're sold singly - or can be - and not motorised, I don't know if it proves that much. And despite what you say, I'm convinced a major RTR model would sell, even if I suspect a lot would end up on HO layouts...

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

My experience of the 'underground' is limited to Finchley where the station is exposed (albeit in a deep cutting) and in places the line actually runs overhead. It always puzzled me why Londoners never wanted to model it?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

So how do you hide the mechanism? We are talking about a mass-market RTR model here and if the mechanism is clearly visible throught the windows that will put off a lot of potential buyers. Tinted windows are an option but that will rule out any kind of internal illlumination.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , Jim Guthrie may have written...

Thanks Jim, So we're talking about an allocation at Corkerhill or Polmadie?

Reply to
James Christie

James,

It's a long time ago but I think I remember seeing them at Corkerhill. For a time in the early sixties, the Clydeside Model Railway Club had its clubroom at the Railwayman's Institute near to Corkerhill MPD and an occasional bit of loco spotting was done en route. I think one was assigned to Balloch MPD as well and I took a photo of it as a youngster with my first camera. I also think one was shedded at the sub shed at Dumbarton East since I can faintly remember seeing it from the back tenement window of a great aunt's flat.

I think they ran on the Balloch route right up to the closure of the ex-Caley line and they looked a sorry sight at the end, especially when they were sat beside the new Blue trains in Dumbarton Central.

What you need now is one of these folks with all the allocation records who can reel off chapter and verse :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

There are UndergrounD modellers, and kits (and EFE conversions) are available - see

I have motorised an EFE 4-car train with 2 Tenshodo SPUDs.

Reply to
MartinS