Class 20 Consist Cv Programming

I have a pair of Class 20`s one with sound (Bachmann sound) and one without. they are both Bachmann units. I tried my first consist using a Bachmann Dynamis and the non sound 20 seemed to want to move before the sound unit had released its brakes (Aurally speaking !!!) Please could some kind person post a list of the shipped CV values for a sound installed class 20 as I think it must differ from the default settings of a non sound unit. I have no way ,with a Dynamis ,of being able to read the settings from the class 20 with sounds decoder. My aim is then program the posted settings into the non sound unit`s dcc chip. If its any use the class 20 with sound is going forwards on the track and the non sound unit is going backwards.(In the consist they are nose to nose) If I am totally on the wrong track here please could someone shed a little light on class 20 consists. I think the relevant CV`s might be 2,3,4,5,6,29,49,53,54,and 55 but I`m not

100% sure
Reply to
mutt

Can't help you on the CV's, but this is a case where being able to read back and store them in a computer would be a huge help.

Do you know anyone with a Sprog programmer or similar computer-DCC interface ?

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Check nmra.org pages on DCC.

It doesn't matter what default CV values the Bachmann locos come with, since you will change them anyhow. The only reason might be if you want to restore them to factory default, which seems unlikely given your desire for consisting. Any subsequent purchaser can program the CVs any way he wants, so again default values don't matter.

The reason the loco without sound starts first is that sound requires additional power, hence the starting voltage on a sound-equipped loco is higher.

Reply to
Wolf K.

Before you consist the locos make sure that they are set to go in the same direction first. Then when you consist they should both go in the same direction.

Probably best to check the Bachmann site and if no luck email. They are quite helpful with things so should be able to help you with your CV questions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I would have thought its a time delay for the sound effect to be heard before the train moves as the DCC voltage is fairly constant and you can have the engine idling when its stopped. Probably correct for running on DC though as the track voltage does vary.

Chris

Reply to
Chris
[...]

AFAIK on DC a sound-equipped loco always requires a higher starting voltage than a silent one. Exceptions?

On DCC it seems to vary, but I haven't checked enough product reviews to be able to say in what way. (I'll get right on to that, really I will, it's bound to be Crucial Information. ;-)) Some sound systems do have a delay built in. NB that on DCC although the track voltage is constant, the (average) voltage seen by the motor varies.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.

Why? When you put them in the consist, you have the chance to say which way they will go compared to normal.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I expect that depends on the quality of the decoder, but the point I was making that there is probably some synchronisation between the sound and the motor operation so a slight inertia is introduced i.e. going from idle to full power.

Chris

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I use universal consisting on my Digitrax system which is quite easy to use. See the extract from their web site below, I guess that other manufacturers support something like this as well. Does not require decoder support. Full article at

Chris

As explained in the manual, there are three types of consisting available to users of the Digitrax Chief set. Basic consisting is performed by merely assigning the same address to whichever locomotives are to be MU'ed together. UniVersal consisting assigns two or more locos to a head end unit on a temporary basis. This is performed by having the head end or top loco assigned to the right throttle knob, the second unit assigned to the left throttle, and hitting MODE, MODE, + on the keypad. Un-assigning locomotives is performed by having the loco to be removed from the consist showing on the left throttle and hitting MODE, MODE, -.

Advanced consisting is similar to UniVersal consisting except that a consist address is programmed into the decoder to permanently MU locomotives together, even if removed from the layout and taken to another layout. This has been known to cause problems when locos consisted using advanced consisting are moved and not put back in the EXACT arrangement in which they were originally mu'ed together.

If you are using a Digitrax Command Station (DCS100 or DB150), we strongly recommend that you use UniVersal Consisting because it is much more straightforward.

Reply to
Chris

They do go in the same direction, only one travels cab first and the other travels nose first.

Reply to
MartinS

Didn't we do this recently?

The sound decoder probably goes through a start up sequence of revving, releasing the brakes etc., when you turn up the throttle.

There are no CVs in a standard decoder that can cause a delay in this way.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq