Class 81/85 announced by DC Kits...

See

Available "Late 2005". If "Charlie's Law" holds good, that should mean a RTR from a rival manufacturer in 2006 (see
). I would rather build my own anyway. Let's hope the new kit isn't based on yet another a third rate Lima or Hornby chassis. Steve Jones has previously suggested Bachmann's Warship as a more suitable donor model for West Coast electrics.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hum, we're still waiting for the Cig's etc. from DC.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You youngsters have got no patience- I'm still waiting for my Trix Brush Type 4.. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

LOL, I remember them promising a Brush Type 4 I'll have you note. :~)

Don't know about others, but I much prefer 'proper' names for loco types, a class 47 could be anything but a Brush Type 4 means something !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That is something I'm waiting for. To be honest I'd given up hope. In the meantime, I have discovered that No Nonsense Kits can supply a kit for any of the 81-85 locos, some in etched brass, some not. I'll probably end up with both then... I'll be surprised if the DCK version appears this year though...

Adrian

Reply to
The Bradshaws

I'm not able to find any mention of Classes 81-85 on No Nonsense Kits' web site. Do you have the address for a web page where I could read it? The only other version which I've mentioned previously is L&J's resin body kit which is rather basic and also limited to a late variant with air bottles instead of pantograph at one end.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"The Bradshaws" wrote in

Is that the old MTK kit........................??

If it hasn't been re-designed, then please make sure you've got a good set of files and plenty of filler...............!

I think I've got a part built MTK 73 somewhere that I eventually gave up on.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

I just downloaded the MTK price list (dated February 2004) from No Nonsense Kits' website and Classes 81-85 are not included. It's nearly all southern types.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I doubt it, AIUI NNK (Nononsense Kits) own the old MTK tooling etc., not DC kits.

What I saw of MTK kits in the '80's they were best described as kits to take the basic work out of scratch building.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Kim.

It isn't mentioned on their site. I emailed them on the offchance and got a very helpful reply (I'll send you a copy if you like). Drop me an email if you want and I'll forward it (mind the spam-trap).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, NNK have all the old tooling for these and will produce to order (according to an email I received recently). For most of the classes 81-85, MTK did both cast and etched body versions.Perhaps the latter would be better? NNK still have stock of etches for some of these classes.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It depends on your skill level. If you are an experienced constructor (or can afford to hire someone to build it for you) etched brass is better. Someone like me would do better with the cast resin body or the promised DC kit.

(kim)

Reply to
kim