Crime or misdemeanour

Don't worry too much. The mistakes will teach you far more than getting it right first time :-) The rule is: 'fit the biggest motor that will go in'. Next rule: 'DCC no flywheel - DC the biggest flywheel that will fit in.' Next rule: 'when you compromise on motor size stay with the largest diameter armature practical' Shorter isn't as much of a compromise. Next rule: 'forget coreless motors unless you're really really tight for space'. A high quality can motor does everything we need for a model loco. Next rule: 'don't buy cheap motors for locos'. Next: 'buy good quality gears and gearbox'.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter said the following on 16/08/2007 21:07:

Even more pedantry - the 9F did have flanges on the centre drivers, but they were much smaller than standard :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

You mean Kitmaster got my model wrong??? =8^O

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The message from Paul Boyd contains these words:

Get yer microscope out...

(Centre driver of 92214 at Bury, ELR. March 12 2007 102k)

Reply to
David Jackson

Indeed, As built the 9Fs had flangeless centre drivers, the 2nd and

4th axles had thin flanges. (Kitmaster got the centre one right but not the other two). When well worn the centre driver would wear hollow and could be described as having a very small flange, actually two, one on the outside edge. But the wheels would be turned before the false flanges got significant to avoid a bad ride and track damage. I've seen railways where tyres were never turned and the false flanges on the outside from the hollow wear then in turn created second flangeways through the P&C. And some wheels were so loose on their axles it was only the false flange keeping it from derailing. Keith
Reply to
Grovenor

Yes enjoyed reading that, but he is too good for me - a standard I will aim for when get on the bottom rung.

Iain Rice provides more advice for us lessor capable ones.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

OK, forgiven already.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

His advice would get you onto the bottom rung. I'd (badly) built a couple of white metal loco kits before I'd read Guy's book, but was not happy with the quality of the castings. This book encouraged me to start cutting brass and I produced a fairly satisfactory scratch-built J69 0-6-0T as a result. Having learnt from my mistakes with the 'Buckjumper' I then built a GCR A5

4-6-2T and this was much better.

OK, providing the advice produces a model which works.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It does indeed. interesting an article in one of model mags recently made me think of cutting out frames to use for an 0-4-0 hornby 'smokey Joe' to get started on scratch building.

But theres so much to do and many years ahead.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

IMHO Iain Rice under-engineers/materials his locos. Beefing up the thickness of frames etc fixes that. I have to admit to being a long-time fan of his modelling but I like my models to survive the odd minor coupling bump and to run longer than it takes me to build the next model.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Guy Williams is rather daunting in regard to modelling standards for beginners. Iain Rice makes construction look less so and apparently gets away with methods I would no longer consider having built a few locos. I started with cardboard construction on proprietry chassis and advanced to styrene, brass and whitemetal. I'm not sure that the easy conversion is still an availble path for beginners today.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Kevin Martin wrote in news:46c43497$0 $25982$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

Absolutely, he only used Swindon boilers, fireboxes, piston arrangements, cab design ... removing the bonnet from the safety valves clearly established his designs as being new and insightful. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Jane Sullivan wrote in news:k5v1ZJ+ snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Looks like someone else needs to put an irony marker on his posts.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

That's right - what looked like the dome was actually a cosmetic replacement for the Swindon brass safety valve cover.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

On 16/08/2007 00:31, John Turner said,

I think Iain Rice has got a heck of a lot of people started on better standards of modelling. His style of writing makes things just seem so easy! His models may not be wonderful runners (I saw one of his layouts more recently where there was a lot of prodding going on), but his writings inspire people to have a go and use his methods as a springboard to better things.

He certainly got me kick-started, anyway :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi Keith

I've just been poring over my 9F books! I can certainly see how the small flange on the centre driver theory came about. No less a person than the current editor of MRJ even goes into some detail about this in one of his books, although he does say that this flange is not visible at normal viewing distances!

Anyway, looking at photos of brand-new 9Fs, I can't see any trace of a flange on the centre driver.

Oh well!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Not forgetting all that gubbins on the outside of the driving wheels :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Thats exactly what I wanted to say !

and apparently gets away with

I started by messing around with old RTR, and building plastic wagon kits and plastkard buildings. Then trying to fix/modify/repaint a couple of old whitemetal locos and finally new whitemetal kits. a different route but kits are probably better made nowadays - esp with etched chassis.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

feel free to plagarize it :-)

Sure, but the current whitemetal/etched kits are only useful for making the model on the box - K's, Gem etc kits could become anything you wanted, except in the case of K's probably not the model on the box. ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter