Crime or misdemeanour

Second radius is a model railway thing, not a prototype railway thing.
In OO it is 438mm or, if you prefer, 17 inches.

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Methinks Paul was kidding...
Ian J.

Looks like someone else needs to put an irony marker on his posts.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

well it was FB before I laid it.
CHeers, Simon
"simon" wrote

Second radius is ok for train sets, not for a model railway (VBG) use! ;-)
John.

What else do I do in 00 on a 6*4 practise board. Could either have a fiddle yard with 2" out and back or a set of ovals. Have you ever tried running in a new loco on a shunting layout ? Before it reaches scale 100mph its crashed.
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

Knock a wall down! At the design stage of my layout I had to make the decision whether to go around the walls of my 17' x 12' room (also computer room and workshop) or build a table style layout against one wall. The fact that I'm sometimes in a wheelchair sort of eliminates the advantages of a "walk around" layout so I went for the compact 16' x 4'6" table. It's 2'6" wide in the center woth "dogbone" ends. At one end the return curve is visible as you can have just so many tunnels before it becomes unbelievable. The visible curve has only 4' width to get around 180 degrees so it is a transition curve from about 6' radius tightening to 18" for about 45 degrees at the center. A low bluff and trees block the view at the tightest point. It's not ideal but looks reasonable and most of the baseboard can be reached one way or another.
Regards, Greg.P.

In 3 directions would be open to the atmosphere and the other falling down the stairs. But soon the loft will be mine ...
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

Tomorrow the loft - monday the World!
Greg.P.

wouldnt worry about 2nd radius then.
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

Why do you need to 'run in' a new loco? I've never, ever done it, and never felt deprived.
John.
John Turner wrote:

When one has just built a loco using reasonable tolerances the bearing surfaces need "running in" to wear down machining and reamed surface inequalities. 'Modern' model manufacturing processes build in the wear so that bearing surfaces are consistantly loose. :-)
Greg.P. NZ

Iain Rice says so, best way to test and I enjoy it.
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

I used to read Iain Rice's pieces, until that is I saw his layout at the MRJ Exhibition at Central Hall, Westminster.
Every single attempt to run a train through a set of points on the layout resulted in a derailment, which did nothing for his credibility in my eyes.
He didn't even see the funny side of things when I suggested he should have stuck to using Peco rather than hand-built points.
John.

I wonder why? :o)
(kim)

You are cruel - would have liked to have been there though.
But his writing is excellent and have learnt lots of useful stuff from his books.
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

VBG - the reality was that his layout was a wonderful example of his 'proscenium arch' philosophy, it was simple but beautifully detailed. The sad reality though was it didn't operate satisfactorily.

I've read dozens of modelling books over the years, but the one which stands out in my mind as a genuine learning tool was Guy Williams 'Locomotive Construction in 4mm scale'.
Beautifully written in a manner which really helped me as a fledgling modeller in the early 70s with many scratch building techniques - all of which worked! Even today it has relevance to anyone wanting to build models of steam locos. A true genius whose worked helped to create the marvel which is Pendon.
John.

Yes enjoyed reading that, but he is too good for me - a standard I will aim for when get on the bottom rung.
Iain Rice provides more advice for us lessor capable ones.
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

His advice would get you onto the bottom rung. I'd (badly) built a couple of white metal loco kits before I'd read Guy's book, but was not happy with the quality of the castings. This book encouraged me to start cutting brass and I produced a fairly satisfactory scratch-built J69 0-6-0T as a result. Having learnt from my mistakes with the 'Buckjumper' I then built a GCR A5 4-6-2T and this was much better.

OK, providing the advice produces a model which works.
John.

It does indeed. interesting an article in one of model mags recently made me think of cutting out frames to use for an 0-4-0 hornby 'smokey Joe' to get started on scratch building.
But theres so much to do and many years ahead.
Cheers, Simon