Do my eyes decieve me?

or is there something missing from item number 6038450957

shane

begin 666 s.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```(" $5 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
scoot

scoot said the following on 25/02/2006 07:31:

They must decieve you, because the description says "Good condition" :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , scoot writes

No they don't, but they might deceive you.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Its obviously a model of mixed gauge points, designed by brunel to help transhipment of goods.

;)

Reply to
John Ruddy

Yes. Either the word "Rare" or "Collectable".

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Paul Boyd" wrote

LOL - in accepted condition terminology 'good' doesn't really mean 'good' at all. The accested scale is something along the lines of

Mint/As New Excellent Very Good Good Fair Poor

So on that basis 'good' really means 'below average' although I would expect something in 'good' condition to be complete and useable, although that is often not the case with second hand stuff offered to me when 'good' usually means it's fit for the dutbin.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You missed out "near mint" meaning "not mint" which covers just about anything.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

That's half the problem, something is either 'mint' or it's not.

In my book something described as 'mint' must be absolutely 'as new' in every respect - which means it is totally unused and comes complete with all original packaging which must also be in absolutely 'as new' condition.

I can't recall the last time I used the expression 'mint' when selling something and I'm super-critical even when using the term 'excellent'.

I once bought something on eBay which was described as in 'mint' condition - it wouldn't have rated above 'good' on my scale but for two or three quid I couldn't be arsed to argue the point.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 25/02/2006 12:34, John Turner said,

I will never describe something as 'mint' on eBay, even if it is. The model railway market is a fickle bunch, and I reckon that if a buyer spots a miniscule blob of grease slightly off centre on the 3rd idler, then calling it 'near mint' covers me!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

That's why I would never use eBay. The descriptions can be roughly translated as:

Mint: It is still sealed in its box, never been opened. I did once accidentally leave the box in the washing machine, but I put it in the microwave straightaway to dry it out. I'm sure it's still just fine inside.

Good: I have run it every day on my layout for 5 years. I have kept it well oiled -- I use old car oil for this because it looks more realistic. The front coupling got bent, but it still works ok if you twist it sideways a bit. I did spill a cup of coffee over it about 3 years ago, but I managed to wipe most of it off. It still runs really well if you give it a little shove to get it going.

Fair: I caught it with the circular saw while I was working on the baseboard. But you can only see it from one side.

Poor: The dog was chewing it. When I tried to get it off him, the bit with the wheels on fell out, and I accidentally trod on it. I'm sure a collector would soon be able to fix it.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wynne

On 25/02/2006 14:04, Martin Wynne said,

I think you could almost be described as cynical :-)

I must admit to using eBay as a general superstore. New headset for my bike? eBay. Alps printer? (YES!!!!), eBay. Cat harness? eBay. The best fudge ever tasted by mankind? eBay. Selling off piles of old crap? eBay ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

This product is absolutely fine! No problems with it whatsoever! You just have to remember it's a point for the undecided modeller.... ;-)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

It is always a source of wonder to me that there are people on eBay on whom you can flog off anything. Even old bread wrappers for God's sake. Why do they buy such crap? I just don't know. One's trash is another's treasure. It's really true.

Reply to
66class

I used to collect old bread wrappers.

But now I'm on a roll.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I used to be an avid tractor enthusiast.

Now I'm an ex-tractor fan :-)

(I'll get my coat)

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

I used to be werewolf but I'm alright noooooooooooooooooooow.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I used to be apathetic about OT posts, now I just can't be bothered.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I've never been superstitious, touch wood.

Reply to
MartinS

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not too sure.

David C

Reply to
David Costigan

"David Costigan" wrote

I think I could be indecisive, if only I could make my mind up about it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner