eBay optimist of the month...

I must confess that in my 12 years service I didn't encounter a lot of officers and NCOs for whom I had any real respect but the discipline instilled into us as RAF Boy Entrants meant that we obeyed orders whether or not we respected those giving the orders.

Reply to
Bruce

Nevertheless military history is full of incidents where the use of fear as the primary method of maintaining discipline has failed spectacularly. It certainly wasn't recommended when I was doing officer training.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Because of my trade (Tel II) most of the officers I encountered, with one or two honourable exceptions, were of a particular branch and of a certain age; they had reached the peak of their incompetence.

Reply to
Bruce