Heljan new models announced

Am I right in thinking that even though the D6xx Warships weren't around when TOPS was introduced in 1973(?), the plans for TOPS being worked out gave them the Class number 41?

I believe this happened for a number of classes, and eventually by the time TOPS was introduced some amalgamation had happened (i.e., class 34 became

33/1). I have a loco book (one of the Ian Allan ones) from 1969-70, which has the TOPS numbers in, but all the locos are still in pre-TOPS order (i.e., by Type and D number).

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

The HST was actually class 253 & 254. The power cars weren't originally classed as separate locomotives. They were numbered as if they were DMU coaches starting 43xxx. It was only later in the eighties, when BR realised that keeping the HST sets together was impossible that the set numbers disappeared and the power cars started to be called class 43.

Cheers, Martyn

Reply to
M Roberts

Class 16 (D8400-D8409 NBL Ltd.

Class 31/0 Former Class Codes: As Built: D12/2 Later 12/2 Rebuilt: D14/2 BR: 30 Number Range: D5500-D5519 Tops Renumbering Range: 31001-31019 Multiple Coupling Restriction: Red Circle (electro-magnetic) Engine Type: Mirrlees JVS12T @ 1250hp Rebuilt: EE12SVT @ 1470hp

Class 31/1 Former Class Codes: As Built: D14/2 Later 14/2 Rebuilt: D14/2 BR: 31 Number Range: D5520-D5862 Tops Renumbering Range: 31101-31327 Multiple Coupling Restriction: Blue Star (electro-pneumatic) Engine Type: Mirrlees JVS12T @ 1365hp Rebuilt: EE12SVT @ 1470hp

Class 41 (252) (41001-41002) (43000-43001) IC125 Power Cars

Class 57 rebuilt Class 47's. General Motors 2500hp

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

37/9 rebuild to trial engines for 38's
57 rebuild of 47's

Was Tommy a 75?

87/2 as 87101 was a thyristor prototype from the mid 70's
93 Proposed IC loco for WCML before privitisation

A few corrections above but in the main correct. Reminds me of the Brian Harensnape books of the 80's detailing diesel history by type. He just covered the start of the sprinter evolution before his untimely death.

Who fancies doing dmus and emus :)

Southern EMUs:

401 4COR 402 4BUF? 403 4LAV 404 2HAL 405 4SUB ? 5BEL 411 4CEP 412 4BEP 414 2HAP 415 4EPB 416 2EPB 419 VAN 421 4CIG 422 4BIG 423 4VEP/VEG 432 4REP (was 492) 438 (Not an emu was 498) 442 5WES 444 DESIRO IC 450 DESIRO SUB 455 456 458 JUNIPER 460 GATEX 465 4NET 466 2NET 488 GATEX 2K 489 GATEX DVT 376 ELECTROSTAR 377 ELECTROSTAR 508 4PEP

Chris

Reply to
Chris

No 4-LAV survived to TOPS. This class number was allocated to the

5-BEL units. [..]
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Tim Illingworth said the following on 01/04/2008 15:29:

That'll be a clue then :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

At Barry, you would have seen a 22, not a 29.

The 22s were slightly shorter, and had hydraulic transmission (the 29s having electric), plus, no doubt, a whole host of other differences.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

It was a 29 - D6122 with D601

Reply to
Martin

Wasn't sure about those and must have missed a few other ones as well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I don't remember most of them. I'd stopped using them because I had moved further north by the time TOPS came in.

Then I moved to the USA. I was horrified to ride in the train from Gatwick to Polegate when I went back to visit my parents who had retired there - it had been painted yellow and was a mobile slum. It still had the partitions between compartments, but those to the corridor had been removed and the seats were plastic. Hardly an advertisement for Britain. Nor was the state of the weedbed, I mean trackbed. There were bushes between the rails.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Does anyone know if the Class 15s ever appeared in Standard Blue with their D numbers (as against with the departmental numbers that four of the class eventually got)? I've had a look for photos of them, but haven't found any so far.

Cheers,

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Sounds like you travelled a few years ago when Connex had the South Central franchise probably one of the worst companies to run franchises in the UK. A French company that had their South Eastern franchise taken away from them and gave up South Central early.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

That rings a bell.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Diesels and Electrics for Scrap, Vol 1" has a photo of D8235/6/40 in storage with full yellow ends (including the cab fronts), with D numbers and "Beeching footprints" on the cab sides, so I presume they're in Rail Blue.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Ha! As I go to put it back on the shelf, I spot the colour photo on the back of the book: another 15, this time in green, but showing that the cab fronts were grey, not yellow.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

319 Thameslink (etc) dual-voltage units.

378 Electrostar EMUs on order for London Overground 395 dual-voltage Hitachi EMUs for CTRL Domestic Services ("Javelin" is technically the brand for the Olympic service, not the units)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

According to the book, "British Rail Main Line Diesel Locomotives" by Colin J. Marsden & Graham B. Fenn (ISBN 0-86093318-0). When built, the fleet was painted all over BR Green livery, which was later altered to accommodate yellow warning panels. So none of the Class received the BR Blue livery, nor the Class 15 000 Tops Number.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

Yerss. I started there, but I think you're putting too much weight on the absence of a statement that some were painted blue. Whilst Marsden & Fenn generally say when some of a class were painted blue, I put more faith in a photo of three of the class in blue than in M&F not saying they were.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

So why the "so I presume they're in Rail Blue" comment, it suggests that you are talking about a B&W photo were bad processing or a variant/faded shade of Green on the loco could give the appearance of another colour. BR blue was only applied when going though works or were the Loco was of PR value (that is why the Delitics all got their Blue paint very quickly), a Type 1 freight/ECS loco would be very unlikely to receive such attention, even (one of) the Liverpool Street station pilot (a traditional loco for special Stratford treatment) was still in green livery as late as September 1970 although it had been given the BR "Double Arrow" symbol.

Reply to
:Jerry:

I can confirm that D8234, the Liverpool Street pilot, was still in green with the double arrow symbol up to its demise at the end of 1970.

Ian Robinson

Reply to
Ian