Hornby B12 Derailments

Same problem with piston rod and crosshead on nu-cast B1. after finally sorted out wheels, realised one piston rod slightly bent. Decided to pack in for a long while before going back to it - maybe get comet chassis instead.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

That might have been true in the days of Trix Twin and Tri-ang where the principal of tracking was akin to rolling a golf ball along household spouting, but the slightly finer standards of today depend on the guard rail pulling the back of the flange of the wheel that is away from the frog pulling the wheel traversing the frog clear of the V rail. (frog) You need those wheels rigidly connected via the axle.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

In message , Greg.Procter writes

Hi Greg

You may be interested to know that the Tri-ang crane truck I converted as described is quite happy on Scaleway plain track and handbuilt copperclad turnouts to fine OO standards. The wheel flanges have not required modification.

The only other change was the use of a wire retainer to keep the axles from falling out of the bearings when the truck is lifted.

Regards

Reply to
Bill Campbell

Hi Bill, Having been a modeller (European + UK HO + Tri-ang NZ) for 50 years now, I have a collection with just about every wheel type you can imagine. I long ago concluded that I would never catch up with getting all those wheels to a single standard, so now I just convert the worst runners and those that look really bad. That IMHO adds up to a lot of experience :-)

Sure, reasonably modern Hornby wheels can co-operate with reasonably finescale turnouts. (on plain track, it's just flange depth that counts) I'd guess that your split-sleeve wheelsets are tight enough so that they don't actually move on the axle under normal operating conditions and that they just happen to be at a spacing (BtoB) that suits your turnouts. The turnouts might even have bumped the wheels apart to the right spacing. :-) I wouldn't count on having the same luck with other examples of those wheels.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter