Hornby EMU at last?

Seacow?

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, unfortunately. Well maybe not "unfortunately", but the milk tank is a popular choice I'd prefer (especially the LMS type).

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

Andy Sollis wrote:-

Not an option I'm afraid. The version of IE I use is specially modified by AOL. Third party software doesn't work at all with AOL, I've tried it all.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Stu" wrote in news:cpqgnj$1id$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

I agree a 4-Cep would be great but the big problem is: original or refurbished? A mould that did both would be pretty complicated!

Reply to
David Jackman

A 4-Cig would be better - same wide variety of liveries with little variation in tooling :-)

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

Hornby will look at this from the point of view of a model that will give them the greatest possible range of time period, regional location and colour schemes in order to maximise profit.

introduced early on and lasted until recently or is still in service. If it has few modifications, even better. Personally, I'm not a southern modeller, but I believe that a CEP would be a sensible choice as it was one of the first of the post-nationalised EMU's and they are still in service today. I had quite wide coverage. Being based on modified standard MKI's it would be straightforward to produce. Modifications are of course an issue. I also believe that an EPB would be a sensible choice due tio their very wide coverage. But I suspect that most modellers would want to see pre-nationalised EMU's such as BIL's, NOL's etc. I suspect that a 4COR might be popular. While I personally have a preference for CIG/BIGs, I don't think they would be a good commercial choice at this stage because in the time scale, they were one of the last EMU's to be built and therefore, don't have the same time coverage.

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

A 3- or 4- SUB has both the greatest time period and widest range, as some LSWR era units lasted into the 1950s.

Although personally I would prefer to see a Lanky Manchester-Bury unit. Also pre-grouping to BR. But extremely route-restricted.

Or some London Underground stock. T-stock would probably be ideal because they would only need to add brake 3rds for a locomotive hauled train. Or any of the stock that lasted pre-war into the 1960s: F-stock, K-stock, O/P/Q/R stock, 1923/27/38 tube stock.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Unless you go for the basic Mk3 style EMU (317-322 or 455/6), then forget regional variation. Also 4 car units are likely to cost the better part of £100 Not an EMU, but how about a 2-car 101 and/or a 150 from Hornby? And the 150 might lend itself to aftermarket conversion kits to the above EMU's...........

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

wrote

Oh yes? Just like they did with the Networker?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Mick Bryan" wrote

Ah yes, something with almost nationwide appeal, loads of livery variations and which would sell in large numbers. Virtually rules it out then!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Now they have the Lima tools, surely simply re-releasing the Lima 101 would do for now, with maybe a bogie drive conversion to something akin to a Black Beetle or Tenshodo drive unit?

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Oh I dunno, the Lima motor growls quite realistically.

Reply to
MartinS

"Ian J." wrote

Not for me. I've got a couple of the Lima 101s and the running qualities are indifferent to say the least, whilst the detailing below the solebar leaves a lot to be desired (even where it's not totally fictional) and the bogies are poor.

I don't want Black Beetle style drives, I want similar drives to those in the Bachmann dmus.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Lima did one. I would guess that most people who wanted a 101 already have that version.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

In message , Christopher A. Lee writes

I suspect I'm not the only modeller who only started modelling an era for which the 101 is appropriate after they became unavailable and baulked at the ridiculous prices that the secondhand ones are going for on ebay. A decent 101 with a good mechanism would definitely be on my wishlist.

Reply to
Spyke

You'll take what you're given!

;-) A large dollup of the world model railway manfacturing capacity has been eliminated with the demise of Lima/Rivarossi. They did a fair proportion of the US manufacturing which will be absorbed by the Chinese companies. Maerklin has just cut it's manufacturing staff (once 2000) to 40 and transfered that production, probably equally between East Europe and China. Athearn and MDC/Roundhouse have been bought out and production will go to China.

My guess is that there's going to be a big bottleneck developing in China and new products will fall behind their promised dates like never before. I wonder if some marketting departments still believe in the Good Fairy and the Easter Bunny?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

G'day, Not all of the Model Trains made in China are made at the 1 Factory. Hornby do own part of the Business that produces their stock. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

I'm aware that there are numerous factories - if I remember rightly Bachmann has about a dozen. I'm also aware that those factories exist because they have work to do.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

[Starts praying even harder for LNWR Oerlikon as their choice of southern (no capital) EMU.]

Much as I get annoyed at manufacturers' choices when something obscure is introduced over something numerous, I do really like some of it (e.g. the Q1). I'd prefer something obscure *and* something mundane to the glamorous or duplicated, but maybe the market's in the famous stuff.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

I've always felt that such huge mechs in DMUs just don't quite look right (though you can hardly see them of course in the 158 etc, as the windows are tinted. Wouldn't be the same in a 101 with clear windows!)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.