Hornby EMU at last?

Lol! That reminds me of the time my dealer tried to tell me the pancake motor's manic whirring sounded like the engine as the 47 toddled up and down his test track. Couldn't help laughing!

No Lima 47 sounds like that!

BTW, I'm not overly impressed with the Tenshodo SPUD, have installed one in my DC Kits Thumper, a bit skittish, it needs taming. Will see what its like when I've weighted the unit properly.

Reply to
Ben C

"Ian J." wrote

Whatever you do is a compromise, but personally I want stuff which primarily work extremely well. With current motor technology it ought to be possible to design a central motor/flyweel drive which was pretty much invisible.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And no interior? I've been wondering what Bachmann are going to do about this problem with the Class 108 DMU. They can either have no interior and an all wheel drive central motor type mech, alternatively an interior and twin?? black beetle type motors or a high quality rinGfield type mech. hidden in the guards section.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Me too. Judging by the fact you can't buy one for less than £75 on Ebay means there must at least some demand for them.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Fred X wrote:-

Or motor and flywheel at one end with cardan shaft drive to the other as suggested in Nigel Burkin's article in MRM. Also it cannot be beyond ingenuity of man to devise a twin flywheel drive which sits below the floor or at least below the window line.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

There are motors which are just 12mm long and 6mm in diameter. How about fitting one in place of the axle on every pair of wheels? There is probably a good reason why this wouldn't work, but I'm sure there are lots of possibilities.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. But will Bachmann?

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Fred X wrote:-

I am guessing Bachmann will mount the flywheel drive from their 08 diesel to one bogie only in the guards compartment and blank out any offending windows.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It's a nice drive. I with they'd do this sort of thing in the US with similar vehicles. While they use nice drives for diseasel locomotives, with a central motor and cardan shafts to the bogies it looks silly in something like a Budd RDC.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
4TC and 4REP with 8 axle drive
Reply to
Martin

"Martin"

4TC? No. Far too modern.

They never even ran in Green.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Martin writes

Unfortunately, they fail one of Hornby's criteria: they never appeared in green.

Reply to
John Sullivan

4COR 4BUF if they won't do the super EMU
Reply to
Martin

In message , Martin writes

Unfortunately, they fail one of Hornby's other criteria: they are not post nationalization designs.

Reply to
John Sullivan

John Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Hornby's criteria don't really make this much of a contest, do they?

The only candidates seem to be Unfurnished 4-Cep/Bep, 4-Cig/Big or BR design EPB/HAP/Hampshire DEMU, and that last one is stretching the point (but is, I would suggest, the most commerically attractive option).

Reply to
David Jackman

Quite frankly, I suspect the only 'commercially viable' RTR model would be either the Cep, Bep, Cig or Big as the tooling (if done with thought) can be used to produce Mk1 stock also.

The more I think about Hornby's request for suggestion the more I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just market research as to the interest out there in such models - SR 'Juice' fans be thankful for what you receive !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I gather that the "SR only" suggestion has come from MREmag, however Phil Sutton of Rail Express posted the following to the D&E Modellers group, which suggests that Hornby aren't just looking for a Southern unit to produce.....

"Hornby has confirmed to me officially today that it is proposing a brand new pre-privatisation EMU model in the next year or two and wants to hear suggestions from interested parties as to what form this should take.

Can be 25kV or third rail.

Sensible to think some generic design would allow greater scope.

Commercial considerations would dictate 4-car or less, several liveries, geographical scope (maybe) and possible options for several types from one/similar bodyshells. In simple terms plenty of bang for Hornby's buck."

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

"John Lancaster" wrote

It would be nice if they asked the retail trade.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well lets think

SR 4 CIG/BIG/BEP/CEP/VEP for corridor

4TC for general use as they get everywhere 4REP for pose value

AC

310 or 304 MR unit 309 for pose value

Or what about 504 / 30(whatever they were the similar design in east London)

Reply to
Martin

"Martin" wrote

I thought 4TC were loco-hauled sets, not emus? Can someone confirm one way or the other please?

John.

Reply to
John Turner