Hornby Q1

While at the hobby shop last night I had a moment of weakness, and bought a Hornby Q1 in BR livery. I've always thought they were a fascinating machine, and I reckon it's not a bad model.

I'm not about to start modelling the Southern region, but I would like to put together a short train to accompany it on layout visits. Were they ever used on passenger workings, or were they strictly goods only?

I would welcome any suggestions as to suitable rolling stock.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I have a photo in one of my Southern related books of a Q1 on a passenger service, offhand I cannot remember which book let alone which service, but definitely on passenger duties!

HTH

Mike K

Reply to
Mikey K

Reply to
stephen fackrell

The Q1 was primarily a frieght machine. However, they were used on railtours - especially in the early 60's judging by the photos which seem to exist. Since these railtours were not restricted to Southern metals, this is probably your best bet - so stock on Bachmann Bulleid coaches (and hope that Hornby really do bring out some high quality Maunsell coaches too).

Reply to
John Ruddy

"Mark Newton" wrote

I can't give you a categorical answer but the odds are pretty good that they'd work the occasional passenger turn, but not on the Midland Railway as suggested by the computer generated image in the current Hornby catalogue.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Mark Newton"

Scroll to bottom of page.

Scroll to middle of page.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

There are many photos of Q1 on passenger trains, usually summer relief workings on various parts of the BR.SR. Speeds of 60+ mph were not unknow and apparently the loco rode well. You could put together a short 3-5 coach train to represent this if you wished. Backmann mk 1 stock will be easier to find for this purpose than Bullied coaches, these are becoming scarce.

Dont forget to weather it unless its on a railtour, these machines were usually dirty!

Reply to
piemanlarger

I was looking at one of these in a LHS the other day. It is the most god-awful looking loco ever designed. I (of course) immediately fell in love with it. I am now trying to invent reasons NOT to buy it. The need for a soon-to-be-released On30 Climax is winning, but the "I want to save to buy a Yellowstone if someone makes one" has been bumped down the list. At the moment, it is neck and neck with the purchase of the Eureka Models AD60 class Garratt when it is released next year.

Let us know how you go fitting a decoder, what decoder, how it performed, etc.

One question, is it tender-drive (shudder) or are the loco wheels properly driven?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

Steve Magee wrote:-

I'll give you one. The Hornby model is far too perfect. If you compare the model with photos of the real thing you will see its lines are much too clean (even in 'factory weathered' condition). I remember the dodgy white metal kits which preceeded the Hornby model and to my eyes they looked much more realistic ie: bent, wobbly, distorted.

Then again I'm not a Southern fan and unlikely to ever buy one so it doesn't matter a damn what I think.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

These are great links - thanks Roger. :)

Reply to
Mark Newton

I think there are a few candidates for that title, but there's no doubt the Q1s are a strong contender.

Good luck! I was spared all that agonising - my wife saw it, asked for a closer look, and had decided to buy it all while I was in another part of the shop. By the time I saw it, it was a done deal.

Shall do. If at all possible, I'm going to try for a sound decoder.

It's driven on the loco wheels - when I get a chance I'll post a photo of the mechanism.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. You've given me some good ideas and inspiration as well. I bought a copy of John Scott Morgan's history of the class, and I have some coaching stock on order.

Thanks once again,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

They were not popular with crews on such trains if the weather was unpleasant, though - lack of splashers or running board meant that spray, muck, etc. tended to be whipped up straight through the windows and into the cab!

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Yes, but it was always Sunny in the South according to the posters!!

Reply to
piemanlarger

Bournemouth shed were great believers in using six coupled locos on passenger trains and four coupled on pick up freight.

Bulleid's concept of eliminating weight, other than the boiler / motion in order to produce the most powerful six coupled loco, had one great downside. Whilst a Q1 could start anything, it's stopping capability was practically zilch. In normal conditions, a sensible driver wouldn't take out more than 30 wagons without a fitted head, on a wet and greasy rail it could barely stop itself.

Reply to
John Bishop

In message , Steve Magee writes

The only problem is the Yellowstone or the Garratt will pull very much more than the Q1.

properly

Reply to
John Sullivan

I'm assuming then that they only had steam brake on the loco, and vacuum train brake?

(I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, only looked at the pictures!)

Reply to
Mark Newton

I must admit, I hadn't considered that. It would make conditions on the footplate very unpleasant, so I can understand the crews being unhappy. Any idea what the fitters thought of them?

Reply to
Mark Newton