Hornby's folly for 2009?...

Is that just steam ?

True but dont most of us stretch that timescale for a nice model - i certainly do.

Doubt it, weve just been accused of being a bunch of box openers (not by you though) - people prepared to renumber seem to be a small minority. Havent got round to trying it myself yet.

Was thinking that the LNER modellers would have purchased just one as a nice model, presume it depends on what else was available to them that year.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I wonder just what proportion of modellers really worry too much about sticking to prototype? I think quite a lot of modellers might pick, say, the GWR but run "Flying Scotsman" or perhaps a diesel if they feel so inclined, and I suspect from looking at owners layouts on the web the "average modeller" runs whatever takes their fancy, which is fine under Rule 1. I'm sure Hornby are aware of this in deciding which model to release next. For example, I could see "Tornado" selling well for lot of reasons, but it would be out of place on the vast majority (including all steam) layouts.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

I blessed Hornby for producing the Hogwarts "Castle" as it has enabled me to buy several of them (of each version) and produce proper Castles which were part of my early life and also a Star which used the chassis and front frame from one of them together with a Saint body suitably modified and a 2251 class chimney capping. If I see any of these cheap NE 8F's for sale then I would certainly repaint and renumber them to represent pre & post 1948. When it suits me I have late steam period (LSP) combinations as Leeds sent almost anything down to Bristol from Scots to B1 - B17 and the odd pacific. When the Kings were temp laid up there were the Coronations on western turns. That with Bath Midland + SR stock and Reading GW + SR stock , Bristol LMS + LNER Stock says that anything goes! Equally with the flick of a switch I can revert to pre '48 --- isn't that what it is all about?

Regards Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

Unless you run live steam (or 3rd rail or overhead electric) on a strictly accurate scale prototypical layout, etc., then any layout is nothing but an excercise in what if...

What if the Lower Curmudgeonly branch had been extended to a junction at Upper Pratley? You might as well run Tornado as just another "what if it had been built during the steam era and ran on that line".

Similarly, people get very precious about small detail innacuracies such as that livery never ran with those smoke deflectors. Well, it might have done in your "what if" universe!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

"Sailor" wrote .

Never saw a B17 at Leeds, although I only lived five miles away, so I doubt they sent them to Bristol. Pacifics on the MML south of Leeds were extremely rare, and until the A3s arrived at Holbeck they only had an odd Britannia for a brief period. The A3s only worked north on the S&C from memory.

Still it's your trainset Pete, and if you want to run Pacifics and B17s in Bristol then go for it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Quite correct sir! my reading error -- they were B1's and a K1 or

4 . I have several photos of B1's at Bath Green Park, Bristol Barrow Road and on the Lickey. I never saw any of these but my old buddies reported in at the club. Which A1/2/3 made it is not clear as they were always at a distance and they were very rare even in 1961/2 just before the traffic north was dieselised and the Black 5's and Jubilee/ Patriots went up to Leeds. The B17's had all been scrapped by then of course. Photos of Scots and LMR Pacifics are plentiful as they were used at times from Crewe ( Scots) and Paddington (Coronations) but this was in the final days of steam when anything that could move was pressed into service for almost any purpose.

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

According to RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 1, they were built by the LNER from June 1944 under "War emergency" and given the class O6. The last one (LNER no. 3554) was transferred to London Midland Region in January 1948.

HTH.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

To clarify, the entire batch of 'O6' 8Fs was transferred to the LMR,

3554 being the last one in LNER ownership.
Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

I have a print of a painting by Eric Bottomley, entitled Twilight of the Trams, showing Lower Briggate, Leeds. Sitting on the railway viaduct, waiting to head a train out of Leeds City, is an ex-LNER B16.

The Viaduct pub is still there, now promoted as a gay pub.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

I have the same (signed) print, and actually remember Lower Briggate with the trams. The B16s were regulars (well the route to the east from City station was ex-NER territory) but the B17s were Eastern Region locos and pretty much kept themselves to East Anglia with the exception of the boat trains to Manchester which made them daily visitors to Sheffield (Victoria).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Knew shouldnt have looked it up, but another livery/numbering mess. LNER started building them in 1944, then changed number sequence in 1946 (renumbering previous ones) and then renumbered the lot in 1947. Looks like 18 months is the maximum with built sep 1945 as 3125 and renumbered 3525 in feb 1947. LMS loco profiles - font of all relavent knowledge !

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I have two of Eric's signed prints - he was over here a couple of times for the Great British Train Show. The other one is "Steam in the City", with a Jubilee, an A3 and a DMU standing at platforms adjacent to the above-mentioned viaduct.

Reply to
MartinS

I have a vague memory that the LNER sometimes ran relevant B17 'Footballers' on specials relating to FA Cup Finals, but can't remember where I read it ATM.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

I thought it was just the Sandringhams which were East Anglian engines, because they had smaller tenders for the ex-GE turntables. I thought the Footballers had wider use, and were originally allocated to the ex-GC section sheds (Neasden, Leicester, Sheffield and Gorton).

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"MartinS" wrote

Can't say I've seen that one!

I have a second Eric Bottomley print - it's of Anlaby Road level crossing in Hull and features B1 61010 'Wildebeeste' (Hull's best known 'namer') heading towards Paragon Station.

Quite an artists! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

I can't answer your post without doing some research, but one thing for sure - I never personally saw any 'Sandringham' or 'Footballer' class locos on BR(NER). The nearest was 'Everton' on Doncaster shed, plus several others at Sheffield Victoria.

At least one 'Sandringham' is known to have worked into Hull, but they were indeed rare beasts on BR(NER). 61627 'Aske Hall' was photographed at Brough heading for Hull on 21/6/59.

Picture available on

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John.

I did a web search and found that the Footballers were originally allocated to the GC section but they all finished up in East Anglia.

I'm not an LNER expert, but I grew up on the Met/GC joint on which my father worked. I've had a bit of an interest in the GC but don't claim any expertise.

The B17s were unusual for Gresley engines because they had a divided drive and the conjugated motion worked the middle valve in the normal way instead of from in front.

Incidentally I had an unexpected ride in 1966 just before going up to university, behind a B1 out of Marylebone, the one now preserved as Mayflower. Apparently this was the last time an LNER engine worked into London. It surprised me because it had been part of the LMR for some time by then.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

A frequent visitor to the Battlefield line and a very nice engine too - when no LMS around.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Been reading LMS Profiles on Duchesses. If want a loco in livery that lasted more than 3-4 years then forget these. With so many changes in LMS and BR liveries over their working life and the frequent general overhauls they appear to have recieved every one - including a few unique. LMS experimented with different blues after the war and one engine ran in a blue/blue grey with one side lined and the other plain. Then of course there were the variations on a particular livery to trap the unwary.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Moving this a little further away from what you said, I remember 30+ years ago being asked to build a 7mm scale BR Black 5 4-6-0 for a customer. Nothing special about that I guess, except he wanted it painting in experimental LNER Apple Green as carried by one prototype early in the BR era.

So a green Black 5 is what he got!

John.

Reply to
John Turner