<John Turner> Where and when

In message , Roger T. writes

You know, once upon a time the houses in London (England, not Ontario) were made of wood. Then someone's bakery caught fire, and so did most of London. That was nigh on 338 years ago.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Masks? Safety Glasses? Ear Muffs?

Pah! Only wimps wear those. They're CONSTRUCTION workers. They're macho, manly men. They wear a hard hat to keep the sun off their heads, and they wear those backwards 'cause the visor restricts upward vision. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com:

Roger,

I think you have MDF confused with particleboard. Particleboard is used for exterior cladding. Sheetrock is used for the interior walls. MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is used for building cabinets, painted moldings and the like. See here, for example:

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Roger T." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com:

Most likely sheetrock. Looks similar from a distance. Doubt they'd use MDF for sub flooring as it is more expensive than OSB.

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"John Sullivan" <

North America still hasn't learnt that lesson. Even though city wide fires were not uncommon in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Why do you think all those houses burn when they have wild brush fires in LA county in the outskirts of LaLa land?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

John Sullivan > What did they do before MDF was invented?

Wattle and daub ? :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

John Sullivan > You know, once upon a time the houses in London (England, not Ontario)

Careful, John.... Roger and Martin will blame me for that! :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not as much a Nanny State here, than goodness.

Safety in most of North America is not a federal government responsibility, except in cases of inter-provincial transport. Road (car and truck safety standards) air and rail (See, on topic).

Work site safety falls under provincial jurisdiction in Canada and state jurisdiction in the States.

In BC it's the "Workers Compensation Board" a quasi government body funded by WCB fees charged to employers based on the number of employees and the business they're in. Rather like an insurance scheme for employers.

The WCB is not viewed as the employees friend by most workers in this province.

WCB inspectors are few and far between and usually only respond to complaints by workers or when there's been an accident. If you are injured in a workplace accident, getting money from the WCB is like pulling teeth and, to top it off, if your employer was grossly negligent, you can't even sue them.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"Lobby Dosser"

I think you're correct. I was also confusing it with OSB, a common cladding.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Roger T > Schools? Repainted? Practice?

LOL! I thought you might say something like that, Roger.

The thing is, those kits have given such good service over the past few years and I've got used to seeing them around (one is currently displaying Great Central passenger livery - very nice it looks too!). But now I have a bit of a hankering to see them in motion, so at least one of them may find itself sat atop a Comet chassis. I have a feeling that it would look nice in Urie livery without smoke deflectors. Although my layout is LMS based, a Schools-class engine won't look totally out of place as it will be mixed in with three Bulleid pacifics and an N class mogul!

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

In article , Enzo Matrix writes

Just back from holiday, so if I can respond to several strands at once:

The Schools were built by Maunsell so earliest livery was Olive Green, but they did look better without smoke deflectors. (BRW I once knew a lady called Olive Green - by marriage).

OSB is very heavy and is not absolutely flat. Maybe OK for *fixed* layouts in 'OO' or 'O'.

Try using finely ground pastel chalks from an Artists' shop.

Reply to
John Bishop

"John Sullivan" wrote

Bricks and mortar, then we had that 'orrible grey thing! Breeze blocks!

:-)

Andy

Reply to
CVMRD

John Bishop > The Schools were built by Maunsell so earliest livery was Olive Green,

That's the livery I mean. I was under the impression that it was basically the livery that Mr Urie used for the LSWR with a simplified lining by Mr Maunsell.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

In article , Enzo Matrix writes

The late LSWR early SR livery is known as sage green. It was considered too dull for the SR image and was soon changed to olive.

Reply to
John Bishop

John Bishop > The late LSWR early SR livery is known as sage green. It was considered

Thanks for the info, John. I think that the sage green livery is very attractive. What a shame that the Schools class didn't wear it.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

SNIP

Sorry, houses in fire-prone areas burn due to proximity of vegetation or bad house-keeping. Brick and/or concrete houses (unless all the doors, windows, floors, roof supports, furniture, draperies, bedding etc. are also all concrete) burn just as readily as timber.

In a bush / brush fire you are not talking 200 degrees centigrade: you are talking temperatures high enough to burn steel.

The only solution is to keep the fires AWAY from the property.

Mac from the Mountains (25 years with our local volunteer bushfire brigade)

Reply to
Rosemary MacPherson