Just another Bachmann rumour.......

From a friend who's been talking to senior personnel at Barwell.....

nudge/nudge/wink/wink.

LNWR Super D (G2) 0-8-0

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
newbryford

"newbryford" wrote

Wouldn't totally surprise me with there being a recently restored preserved example, but I can't see it being a massive seller.

Would I have one? Maybe, but by no means a certainty.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

It would seem to be a well-regarded loco among some modellers who like hardcore dirty freight action, but then again, that doesn't translate to high street sales. I look forward to MRJ's review crew getting their hands on it - they seem pretty thorough (and often positive) about recent RTR and there appears to be an LNWR element among them - some kitbuilt Super Ds have appeared in their pages over the last few years. It would at least look better on the average "don't care about authenticity, I just buy what I like" layout when paired with the ever-popular private owner coal wagons, in a way that nothing in BR livery ever will. Its low-speed hauling capacity (motor, gearing, adhesive weight) had better be up to the job!

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke

"John Turner" wrote in news:ebj1ch$g75$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderm1.core.theplanet.net:

I would without a shadow of a doubt

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Me too, especially if it is low-geared and will pull over 50 wagons up a

1 in 75 incline.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I would! Abso-flippin-lutely!

Maybe Bachmann will follow it up with a Claughton. :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Yuck! There are far better locos to produce first, like a 42XX/5205

2-8-0T and 72XX 2-8-2T for starters. >
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

butbutbut... Just imagine all the different liveries you could use for a Claughton.

You could have it in black or red or... well... black again... ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Hear,hear!

Reply to
peter abraham

Yuck! There's enough Great Western rubbish available. There isn't a single LNWR loco as yet.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Or a Precursor or a Cauliflower.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Oh great some these for us Great Eastern people. Would be in if Bachmann and Hornby noticed that are actually Railways in the East of England.

Not asking for mush just a J15 and a K1 !

David

Reply to
davidcharlesworth

"Tony Clarke" wrote

My problem is that I model east of the Pennines, and they didn't work in the area that interests me during my era.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from Jane Sullivan contains these words:

Preferably in N-gauge.

Yebbut I don't model the Gas Works Railway!

Reply to
David Jackson

In message , John Turner writes

Remember Rule 1: It's my railway and I'll run what I like.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

And look at the liveries you can't have it in, like "BRITISH RAILWAYS", BR early crest and BR late crest.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , davidcharlesworth writes

Aren't there some LNER locos available already?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Pah! Who wants them anyway? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Didn't the Super D share the same boiler as the "Greater Britain" class... a unique 2-2-2-2 which, if the separate valve gear were set incorrectly could slip and remain stationary with the front drivers going forwards and the rear in reverse.

What an opportunity for DCC...

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

No. The original 3-cylinder compound 0-8-0s did use the GB boiler (complete with combustion chamber half-way along the barrel). They were the A class, IIRC. A larger boiler (without combustion chamber) went onto the four-cylinder compounds, some of which got a larger boiler and became 2-8-0 compounds. Later the 3-cyl and 4-cyl compound 0-8-0s were rebuilt with 2 inside cylinders and boilers like the 4-cyl compounds (these may have all formed the C class - I'm working from memory here!), while some got bigger boilers still to form the Ds. New-builds of Ds with superheaters became the Super Ds. The boiler of the super Ds were a lot bigger than those of the original compounds.

Not independent valve gear: Earlier Webb compounds had separate sets of valve gear for HP and LP (which had its own problems) but from the Teutonics on he used a simple slip eccentric for the LP gear. Problem was that occasionally when backing onto a train the slip eccentric would remain in the back position, and if the HP cylinders couldn't move the train forward enough to reverse the LP gear before the HP exhaust hit the LP cylinder.. well, you had a problem.

Nice opportunity for sound: I've read a description of a Webb (3 cyl) compound starting away with "a faint whistle from the chimney, followed by a series of immense, wide-spaced cracks" as the LP cylinder kicked in..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen