Metamerism

Apparently, NTSC is unable to reproduce a pure red.

The advent of ATSC HD has improved things considerably.

Reply to
MartinS

Does it relate to NTSC? We have PAL here in NZ as we started later than everyone else (1961 I think) Programmes for the next twenty years at least must have arrived here in photographic film format.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

NTSC2, which replaced NTSC decades ago, stands for "Never The Same Colour Twice".

Reply to
Greg.Procter

although

If I remember from my Telecomm courses, when NTSC signal was weak, the colour would change whilst for PAL in the same circumstance, only the depth of the colour changes. Thus PAL copes with poor signals much better than NTSC. David

Reply to
David Pennington

Complicated question, there are lots of flavours of NTSC and PAL, then there is the French SECAM system and whatever the Chinese have developed. On the ships we had multi-standard TVs with a bank of switches on the back and part of my job was setting these up as we reached port. Kiwi and Aussie PAL is slightly different from UK PAL but I cannot now remember what the difference is (possibly the offset for the audio - too long ago to remember the details). We used to get the Word Radio and TV Handbook which listed the setting for each country, it's probably all available on line now but it's late and I'm tired to too tired to run it through a search engine (Ask may be better than Google as its a techie question).

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

My point was that TV programmes at the time I was commenting on came to NZ as film stock, not in analogue or digital formats, so formats should have made no difference. Worked in TV export and repair in the early 1970s (managerial) and in shipping 1970s-1980s.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Sorry - got it (finally). Not sure why the film stock versions would differ, but I know a chap who may have some insight, I'll ask.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I have long wondered why the yanks insist on people being a universal yellow/brown and everything else with a green halo. Goodness knows why they stick to their rather inadequate colour system!

Peter

Reply to
Sailor

As I recall UK pal has the sound on the other sideband from the antipodes chaps.

Reply to
Sailor

Probably because it would cost them too much to change.

Anyway, aren't we all supposed to be going to HD TV? There will probably be several different systems for that, with the Yanks going to an inadequate system they invented, the French going to another system just to be French and different, whereas the rest of the world goes for the best available at the time.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Not Invented Here

Reply to
beamends

???? Not on my TV! Of course, I actually adjust the colours to suit me.=20 The source material (film, analog, digital) determines the colours, even =

with "colour correction" applied by the broadcaster (or whoever=20 transfers the material to disc.) Eg, BBC shows were invariably washed=20 out, looking a lot like old colour tinted b/w photos. Now that it's all=20 digitised, the colours are much more natural. The default colour palette =

is adjusted (if that's the word) to provide relatively inoffensive=20 colours from a wide variety of sources. Which means that none of it's=20 pleasing.

Google brought me this:

Check out the links to Extreme High Definition and Super High Vision.

FWIW, I have 1680x1050 native resolution LCD monitor for this computer.=20 Very nice. Our TV is a Sony Bravia 42" 1080p. _Very_ nice! Lots of=20 adjustments for aspect ratio, sound, and colour. SD material (VHS tape,=20 DVDs) looks much clearer on it, too. Highly recommended, if you're=20 thinking of a new entertainment toy. ;-) Haven't sprung for a BluRay=20 player and probably won't. A couple of friends have told me you need at=20 least a 60" panel to see the difference between standard DVD and BluRay.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

BluRay players are now under C$200. There is a difference if you look closely, but probably not from 10-15ft away.

Reply to
MartinS

"After over a half-century of use, the vast majority of over-the-air NTSC transmissions in the United States were replaced with ATSC on June 12,

2009, and will be, by August 31, 2011, in Canada."

MartinS

As I recall UK pal has the sound on the other sideband from the antipodes chaps.

-----

Ah, just like the water goes down the plughole the other way down here.

Reply to
John Nuttall
[....]

Still too high. Once they get around $50, I'll think about BluRay again, maybe.

Watched the new Star Trek movie last night (a gift from daughter and son-in-law). Well done alternative time line. Looks like it could be a good series, if they make the characters more complex.

No trains, though. ;-(

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

I remember paying $500 for a Mitsubishi VHS VCR, circa 1988. And the same for a 20" Viking colour TV from Eaton's in 1974.

Reply to
MartinS

I remember my room mate buying a 13" b/w TV for $300 in 1956. $2,000 to $3,000 in today's money (depending on how you calculate inflation.)

Which permits a segue into model railways: Many people whinge about the high prices of model railways. They flinch when they see an F7 diesel with DCC and sound offered at around $200. But allowing for inflation, most models and kits are well within the price range of the 1950s, and many are are cheaper. Besides, quality and technology have improved, so that the price-quality ratio is much better than way back when. Eg, that DCC sound equipped loco at $200 IMO compares very favourably with a plain vanilla F7 loco _kit_ costing about $20 in the mid-50s.

That improvement in price-quality ratio is one reason that kit and scratchbuilding are now a niche market. Model builders are well served these days, but most model railway enthusiasts are happy that so many high quality ready to run models are available.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

FWIW, I have 1680x1050 native resolution LCD monitor for this computer. Very nice. Our TV is a Sony Bravia 42" 1080p. _Very_ nice! Lots of adjustments for aspect ratio, sound, and colour. SD material (VHS tape, DVDs) looks much clearer on it, too. Highly recommended, if you're thinking of a new entertainment toy. ;-) Haven't sprung for a BluRay player and probably won't. A couple of friends have told me you need at least a 60" panel to see the difference between standard DVD and BluRay.

Still got Sony TV bought over 14 years ago. Occasionally think about a new one but find it difficult to justify it. Anyway as only watch childrens TV and occasional re-run of the Sweeney doesnt seem worth it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

You mean like we all went to Beta video recording?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter