Next question - DCC

Ok, I started ten years earlier when decoders were individually addressable, had switchable directionable lighting, 14 speed steps and nothing else. Not long after built in acceleration, deacceleration, starting and maximum speeds became available. I would have had two upgrades by now, without considering sound.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz:

It's a subject that's close to my heart also ... hence my little rant.

It's not as though we don't have enough problems around here without Iraq, what with the DCCs refusing to accept the superiority of DC, that lot on the East Coast not genuflecting when the words "Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway" are mentioned - and as for that lot down south pretending that their three rail tram system is in someway a railway ... well enough said. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Hmmm, you can't disagree with "... that both Blair and Bush were working up their respective populations with nonsensical and unjustifable evidence", so you attack the messenger!

You're turning into a yank lackey.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You're forgiven ;-)

Did I hear the words "Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway????

Reply to
Greg Procter

No, I'm just commenting on the increasing use of imprecise language to support a theory. You cannot substantiate your phrase - i.e. that everyone in the rest of the world agreed with your premise about the actions of Blair and Bush. But it sounds good in an argument, but doesn't stand up to investigation in the cold light of dawn.

You have incontrovertable proof of that as well? :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

You think claiming Saddam Hussein had WMDs isn't imprecise language??? It's a damn sight less precise and insupportable claim than mine and I'm not going to be responsible for the slaughter of 670,000 innocent people on the strength of mine!

That's an opinion based on your comments.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Why would you have had to upgrade? If it works why change it's not like computers that you need to replace every time there's a new release of Windows which gets a little better with each release but needs faster CPU's, more memory and bigger disk drive capacities.

Of course you could spend a hell of a lot more money replacing all your models from the early nineties with latest high detail models with lots of lights and sounds, think of Broadway Limited for an extreme US example.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In analogue control I have stepless/infinite step control, with feedback control, adjustable acceleration, braking and speed mapping. Take as an example a propretry loco on a 14 step DCC decoder; to get the loco to move took step 3 and it reached a scale top soeed at step 9. That gave _7_ practical speed steps. I really am not satisfied with that level of control! Some later 14 step decoders gave us the ability to spread all 14 steps over the required speed range, but only 14 speed steps is still pretty clonky.

28 step speed is (in some decoders) half steps, increases two steps at a time and decreases one and then two steps, not really 28 increments. Unfortunately, unless one can compare decoders before buying, one only finds out the limitations of decoder models after installing them. Some people may well be happy with basic decoders, but I want something that at least matches my existing analogue and then something extra to justify the cost of the decoder and the reduction in performance/appearance involved in installing it in my loco.

Err, I have a collection starting in the mid 1970s. Not all of those have improved versions available.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter