OT BT internet users beware

The following is 'my interpretation' of an e-mail from BT - I say this because at the bottom it says . . .

This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications plc, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s), or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

So.

I asked about uploading a website on behalf of a blind person to their

50mb of web space with BT Surftime.

The gist of the reply was - Hard luck, you can no longer make any changes to the web site on your surf time account however we now offer you 15mb of geocities web space instead.

For infrequent surfers Geocities is the silly pop-up ridden flaky web hosting service that (personally) I would only recommend to people I do not like.

So, for those with a BT account beware, BT have broken the trades descriptions act as this does not conform to their original contract for ad-free 50mb hosting. As to doing anything about this - good luck.

FYI I work for a charity and we have found Freenetname.net to be a good and reliable service (you get free domain registration with them as well) and dabsol.net offers 'unlimited webspace'

Just thought I'd share that with the group

Regards

Reply to
Mike

Hi all

I work for TECH 2U Internet Services in Australia. A nationwide ISP.

We offer free web hosting to model railway groups if anyone is interested. Also if anyone has a large amount of useful material that can be used by the modelling fraternity, eg photos, instructions or how-tos we will also look at hosting that for free.

Existing stuff located at

under Trains

Helps that boss is "railway friendly" :-)

Let me know if this offer is useful to anyone.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Robson

Sadly my own effort in this area is currently running at about 80mb and it isnt finished yet - Thats a bit big to ask people to host - Plan A is to farm out sections to spare capacity on friends accounts (the site is set up to work like that)

Regards

Reply to
Mike

wrote

Crikey, that's small beer, my three websites exceed 2Gb.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's 1.9 GB taken by photographs of diesels and 0.1 GB of railway related material. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

That's one way of putting it. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I got 250Mb of space with my broadband account.

80Mb is naff-all these days!
Reply to
Jim M