OT. World Cup Final

And lets start being honest here ... Union is a bit of a woofters game when compared to the men's version

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Jeff Law writes

You're right. That's the main reason why I'd rather go and watch my local rugby club (extra B level, or so it seems) than watch an international these days.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Rah rah rugby rather than the proper game! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You know, I missed the live broadcast so whilst I was at work last night I watched the replay. You know I didn't see a single knuckle duster, not one broken limb and get this ... after the match finished, all, yes all the players walked of the field! I give up, I'd have got more satisfaction actually doing what I was being paid to do.

Kidding aside, it was a good game.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Eh?

real match was one in the morning UK evening in Aus and you are English aren't you?

Reply to
Xbase++

Is it?

They're both 'games' that involve a horde of blokes dry-humping each another in the middle of a muddy paddock.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Professional "sports".

Yawn.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"Xbase++" wrote

The *real match* was the GB v Australia rugby league test played at 6.15pm on Saturday evening. For those not in the know, the Aussies won 12-18 to gain minor revenge for their earlier deafeat at the hands of the English in the RU William Webb Ellis Cup.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

League is for Rugby players who are scared of pain.

Reply to
Mark W

"Mark W" wrote

OK, after watching RL for 40 years I'll disagree, but at least you made me laugh! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Played both. Union definitely hurts more.

Reply to
Mark W

League??

Oh I know - they used to poach Union players until RU went pro!

Martin - originally from Gloucester - RU champions for 2002-3

Reply to
Xbase++

"Xbase++" wrote

Rubbish - Union went pro many years ago, just didn't have the bottle to tell anyone. Never heard of *boot money*?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

'Could have' doesn't count. The last I heard was that all that mattered was the scare at the end of the match!!

Peter Bridge

Reply to
BridgeP

"BridgeP" wrote

It'll all be forgotten after three months and the BBC and the rest of the media will be back with their obsequious interest in that big girl Beckham and his cronies.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There was a scare at the end of the match? I guess you Poms aren't used to so many Aussies crying?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter" wrote

Bet some of you Kiwis had a rue smile on your faces too? :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yeah, there's some wailing and savage pruning going on - personally, I don't care - didn't even realize we'd lost until I heard England had won.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Our son lives in Australia, and works for a NZ company. He won all ways. Gloated over the Kiwis when they were beaten by the Aussies. After England beat Australia he was insufferable. He made a large cake decorated in the England colours enscibed 'Humble Pie' and made all his colleagues eat a piece.

He says somew found it almost indigestable, but one good thing he tells me is that the Australians were gracious, although suitably chastened in defeat. No 'we was robbed' attitude. The game was the winner.

Peter Bridge

Reply to
BridgeP

I think I mentioned earlier that I don't follow the game - however, the news media was saturated with it in the month or so leading to the final so even I couldn't remain ignorant. :-) Just now, blame is being shovelled in all directions, rationally and irrationally. What struck me before the semi-final was a degree of arrogance from the All Blacks, as a team, that I haven't seen before. I just hope they learn the lesson demonstrated, but I don't think they will! Congratulations Poms. (and I don't say that often ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter