Practical BRM

Just because something is out of date or superseded doesn't mean it's name has changed. For example, I could go to a train fair and buy a Lima 47. Lima isn't current, but if I did something to the loco and wrote about it in a magazine, I'd still say I used a Lima model.

Of course, if I was talking about the current (real) railway scene and said I caught a British Rail train, then I would deservedly be seen as being dopey.

PhilD

Reply to
phildeaves

Just because something is out of date or superseded doesn't mean it's name has changed. For example, I could go to a train fair and buy a Lima 47. Lima isn't current, but if I did something to the loco and wrote about it in a magazine, I'd still say I used a Lima model.

Of course, if I was talking about the current (real) railway scene and said I caught a British Rail train, then I would deservedly be seen as being dopey.

PhilD

-- Agree with John, us inexperienced builders want to be started with the exact combination to use - forget choice, and especially forget sourcing anything obscure. When see anything like that it seems either the author trying to show how clever they are or just filler cos cant think of anything useful to say. Same when say ' part x is rubbish and will never look right but i happen to have an old one in my scrap box from company y that went defunct 30 years ago'

cheers, simon

Reply to
simon

snipped-for-privacy@s28g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

I'd certainly go along with that. Having to get this or that from other sources is a real turn off to those thinking about having a go - not least as options are often given as though the potential user knows all about what the benefits/downsides are. The "part x is rubbish and will never look right but i happen to have an old one in my scrap box from company y that went defunct 30 years ago" holds back many a modeller, particularly those on a budget who cannot afford mistakes. It's the difference between the modeller who wants "perfection", and the majority, at least to start with, who just want a functional model. Very few guides/ articles seem to cater for the latter - seemingly loosing sight of the fact that they too once didn't have a clue and needed really basic information.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

This is especially trying for an article aboout building your first etched kit. To be fair though, it was mentioned as an alternative to a mashima rather than a must have for this kit.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q