Print your own models

The Bits for Bytes BFB3000 printer can produce models from CAD files ! Yours for a shade under =A32000

Dragon Heart

Keith Patrick

I saw the output of a 3D printer the other week. One of the open source hobby versions, I forget which. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely a long way to go before it's suitable for producing that elusive item of rolling stock.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I saw the output of a 3D printer the other week. One of the open source hobby versions, I forget which. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely a long way to go before it's suitable for producing that elusive item of rolling stock.

MBQ

Am going to train the tot to build kits, he's far more expensive but got to keep him anyway.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Bulleid-Firth-Brown, like the wheels?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I saw the output of a 3D printer the other week. One of the open source hobby versions, I forget which. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely a long way to go before it's suitable for producing that elusive item of rolling stock.

MBQ

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Saw an industrial model around 1981-82. Looks like zero progress.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I can see its use for cutting out overlays to create panelled stock, the way Jim Whittaker and David Jenkinson did by hand.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Seems like you can already do that with laser cut panels. Still expensive

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

.

You use them for building up, by "printing" repeated layers of material, not cutting out.

What you describe can be done with a thingy like a plotter that has a blade. can't remember what they're called but they're popular with crafters.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Tried that, then they discovered WarHammer, traitors.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

CraftROBO at

I use one at work for cutting self-adhesive labels and when it works, it's great. Put it this way, if you want it to read registration marks so that the cutting matches your printing, you'll be pulling your hair out! For overlays though, that isn't a problem.

Reply to
Paul Boyd