Print your own models

I saw the output of a 3D printer the other week. One of the open source hobby versions, I forget which. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely a long way to go before it's suitable for producing that elusive item of rolling stock.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
I saw the output of a 3D printer the other week. One of the open source hobby versions, I forget which. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely a long way to go before it's suitable for producing that elusive item of rolling stock.
MBQ
Am going to train the tot to build kits, he's far more expensive but got to keep him anyway.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
I saw the output of a 3D printer the other week. One of the open source hobby versions, I forget which. I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely a long way to go before it's suitable for producing that elusive item of rolling stock.
MBQ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Saw an industrial model around 1981-82. Looks like zero progress.
Reply to
Lobby Dosser
I can see its use for cutting out overlays to create panelled stock, the way Jim Whittaker and David Jenkinson did by hand.
>MBQ > >------------------------------------------------------------------------------ >Saw an industrial model around 1981-82. Looks like zero progress.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
.
You use them for building up, by "printing" repeated layers of material, not cutting out.
What you describe can be done with a thingy like a plotter that has a blade. can't remember what they're called but they're popular with crafters.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
CraftROBO at
I use one at work for cutting self-adhesive labels and when it works, it's great. Put it this way, if you want it to read registration marks so that the cutting matches your printing, you'll be pulling your hair out! For overlays though, that isn't a problem.
Reply to
Paul Boyd

Site Timeline