Re: Bachmann innovations.

Is there a move to British H0? It looks to me to be the same few enthusiasts it's always been.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

'Few' being the operative word. I met one once - real crank! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There are actually suitable models - Fleishmann (I think) produced an unrebuilt Royal Scot and some rather nice carriages, also a Warship diseasel and Bulleid stock. Not Most modellers' meat because it restricted it to the short period they worked out of Waterloo.

Also British built exports, like the version of the class 08 that was sold to the Netherlands.

Forget the early Lima crap.

And I think Palitoy's first attempt was an HO diesel - long before their OO Mainline stuff.

But I can't see much point in it.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

John,

You might question who the cranks really are when the rest of the world models to 3.5mm scale on 16.5mm track :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In message , Christopher A. Lee writes

Is there still a TT following out there? Or has that died a death?

Reply to
James Christie

In message , Jim Guthrie writes

Ah, but being British, we couldn't *possibly* do it like the rest of the world, we have to make an arse of it all on our own. Besides, I don't think changing to HO is really an option, there's too much hassle involved. I would think keeping the 4mm, but changing the gauge to EM or P4 would be better, I mean it can't be that difficult to regauge a Bachmann or Hornby loco, can it? I've been thinking of trying it myself.

Reply to
James Christie

Eccentric crank?

Reply to
MartinS

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I can't see what the point is, there is little or no saving in space (as there is in TT gauge) and it's far easier to change wheel sets and adopt EM gauge (or P4) if running on 'narrow gauge' track bothers one.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Return crank ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from James Christie contains these words:

All my TT stuff is in the loft, ready for its Second Chance. I spend a morning every couple of years exercising the locos round a circle of track - and playing with the Codar: great fun but I was warned not to use it on the N-gauge layout.

Reply to
David Jackson

Diesel? No. Steam? Much more complicated.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Diesel initially, as I believe there's 'ready to run' EM/P4 track about. What put me off was having to build trackwork myself. As for steam I think I'd get someone to do it, as it would require a bit of surgey on the valve gear. I find the wrong gauge isn't too noticeable on diesels, but I always notice it on Steam. By the way, which one is the more accurate, P4 or EM, and why the difference between the two?

Reply to
James Christie

"James Christie" wrote

P4 is supposedly *exact* (18.83mm) gauge, whereas EM is a slightly underscale track gauge (not sure whether it's 18mm or 18.2mm these days). The slight narrowing in gauge is (I believe) to allow for marginally overscale valve-gear dimensions.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Reply to
David Costigan

Flanges are noticeable different to, EM is often the same flange as used with OO wheel sets, P4 have scale flanges;

Very bas ASCII art but... 'V' = Flange depth v V P4 OO/EM

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Sure, but we all keep moving!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , John Turner writes

Is overscale valve gear a problem with today's models? Would have thought it would really be something confined to the past, a la what Hornby were giving us 10 plus years ago.

Reply to
James Christie

Wait 'til you meet some of those "4mm modellers" - they are real cranks!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

For me it's simple, I can run and compare the British models with my German stock.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter